N-Europe

Counter Strike Source - Firewall Issues

Nucleus

Hi all,

Whenever I try to play CSS, it continually looks for servers and when I stop the refresh, it says: "Could not connect to master server". Whenever I turn off my software firewall (Kerio Personal Firewall), everything works fine. The problem is, I have no idea how to use the packet filter in the firewall to let something of my choice through. Could someone explain how I can get the game to work please (and if possible, the different sections of the packet filter for future reference)?

Thanks; all help is appreciated :smile:.

Don't know anything about that brand of firewall, but if you just use XP firewall or something like Zonealarm, it will ask you when you try to play CSS if you want to allow the program to access the internet, and from then on it will open the appropriate ports.

Open up kerio (double click the shield icon), choose network security on the left , choose the applications tab, scroll the list and see if there are "steam" and "hl2", if there is check that they are allowed in and out on the internet column.

If the list doesn't have those, click the packet filter, then add, then type in a description, choose the application as *steam folder here*\SteamApps\*your steam profile name*\counter-strike source\hl2.exe , then add tcp and udp as from the protocol section, leave the local and remote fields blank and check that direction is at "both" and action is permit. Do the same for the steam client which and other games you have under steamapps you want to play online. The steam client .exe is in the *steam folder here*.

Thanks for your help guys. Its working perfectly. Just incase this sort of thing happens again, do you have a link to any page which explains each selection in the firewall. I'd like to learn what everything means.

Thanks again.