N-Europe

Router replacement...

S.C.G

Ok, I'm with BT as my BB ISP, and they supplied me with a BT Voyager 2110 wireless router with 4 ethernet ports, it was fine for a while but now, it keeps over heating, which causes frequent disconnects which well, to me when I'm playing a game is beyond irratating when i know it's the router overheating thats the cause, and yes it is properly ventilated.

So bascially I need a new one, preferablly that has similar specs and is easy to set up but reliable, and it needs to be wireless and come with ethernet ports (I usually have at least 2 ethernet devices connected to it as well as 2 other PC's wirelessely simultaneously) and I am unsure of which router to get.

Also, if i get a new router, will that affect my firewall etc greatly? Ideally I just want a router thats reliable, easy to set up and that is suitable for connecting Nintendo consoles too and other devices by simply entering the WEP key for each device.

I am prepared to spend between £40 - £80 max, I just want something thats reliable because the amount of disconnects it's causing me at vital parts of online games is really frustrating. :sad:

Anyway, if anyone can recommend one to me either from personal experience or just general concencus then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Guest Stefkov

I have a Netgear WGT624 v3. It has 4 ethernet ports on the back and is wireless.

My brother on his mac never disconnects from when he's on wireless and there has never been a sudden downtime, where it turns off. Only time this happens is when Virgin are being annoying.

It came with a CD to set it up, took no time to do so. You can logon via routerlogin.net and change anything there: Port Forwarding, changing password etc.

It has WEP and all the WPA securities. I have my Wii connected to it all the time.

Personally I'm glad I spent £60 on it.

I have a Netgear WGT624 v3. It has 4 ethernet ports on the back and is wireless.

My brother on his mac never disconnects from when he's on wireless and there has never been a sudden downtime, where it turns off. Only time this happens is when Virgin are being annoying.

It came with a CD to set it up, took no time to do so. You can logon via routerlogin.net and change anything there: Port Forwarding, changing password etc.

It has WEP and all the WPA securities. I have my Wii connected to it all the time.

Personally I'm glad I spent £60 on it.

Thanks I ordered one like that, I think it's the same model, one question though...

The firewall etc that comes built into the router, can it be disabled or not used? because I already have a firewall etc that works with everything and I don't want to introduce another firewall which may conflict with the existing one and stop stuff from working. :hmm:

Guest Stefkov

I just turned on the pc that the router is connected to and went to routerlogin.net

I found no options for a firewall so I don't think I can answer your question.

I havnt had any problems with connecting to anything on that pc or any others however the pc that the router is connected/maintained on is my old tower pc so everything is basically open anyway.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to turn it off i there is one. Like you can turn off the Windows Firewall.

Thanks Stefkov, also I've just recieved it in the post and am going to try setting it up tomorrow, but I looked on the bottom of the router and I can't seem to find the Wep key? which I'll need to connect my Wii, DS etc, unless it's listed as something else, or maybe I have to find that out from logging in?

anyways if you know how to obtain it's wep key, I'd like to know, but other than that I'm not anticipating any problems with it, also on a sidenote, it's really small... I may stand it vertically next to my Wii. :)

Also, Uzit I would recomend the one I just got, assuming it works, if it's the one with the modem built in which you need there is a link to it here...

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3309601/Netgear-DG834GT-108-Mbps-Super-Wireless-ADSL-Router/Product.html

Although you can get it about £10 cheaper at http://www.morecomputers.co.uk (where I got mine from).

Thanks Stefkov, also I've just recieved it in the post and am going to try setting it up tomorrow, but I looked on the bottom of the router and I can't seem to find the Wep key? which I'll need to connect my Wii, DS etc, unless it's listed as something else, or maybe I have to find that out from logging in?

anyways if you know how to obtain it's wep key, I'd like to know, but other than that I'm not anticipating any problems with it, also on a sidenote, it's really small... I may stand it vertically next to my Wii. :)

Also, Uzit I would recomend the one I just got, assuming it works, if it's the one with the modem built in which you need there is a link to it here...

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3309601/Netgear-DG834GT-108-Mbps-Super-Wireless-ADSL-Router/Product.html

Although you can get it about £10 cheaper at http://www.morecomputers.co.uk (where I got mine from).

thanks for the link man but I dont think I can use a ADSL one....

Guest Stefkov

I'm pretty sure that when you go into the settings for the first time, the password you enter will give you your WEP key.

Thanks Stefkov, I'll have a go at setting it up on Wednesday. :smile:

also, Uzit this one might be of use to you...

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/1131488/Netgear-WGT624-108-Mbps-Wireless-Firewall-Router/Product.html

It's the one that requires an external modem to be plugged in? I think thats the type you were after, the one I linked to previously has a modem built in.