N-Europe

Upgrading soon! Anyone got help/tips?

CoolFunkMan

It's my birthday on Thursday, so I'll probably be getting plenty of cash. I was thinking that I might as well upgrade my current rig. I was going to get/build a new base unit, so that my parents could have mine, as their system is rubbish *coughpentium2cough.* However, that's gone out of the window, as I don't want to spend too much.

Anyways, enough of my babling, here's some parts I've considered (from overclockers) so far:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail - £150.39

Antec TruePower Trio 550W PSU - £61.09

Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard - £82.24

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C5 800MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400DC) - £68.14

BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 320MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail - £190.34

Total (inc shipping): £563.88

I'm not sure on the motherboard, as the options on OC's site confused me (Intel 775 in P35, 975X, 965P chipsets.) I have no idea what they all mean. I've also decided on a new psu, as the one I have atm is only 350w and doesn't seem really reliable.

I'm hoping that this system will last me a while (though it probably won't.) Is there anywhere that I can cut the cost, without sacrificing any important parts? The store doesn't need to be overclockers, I'm just looking for the best value deal. Thanks if anyone can help...

550w will fine but it wont leave much room for upgrades or overcocking, also get the Asus PB5 instead, its not SLI but has a much better chipset.

tbh SLI is gash anyways, not many games support it and 8800's are super fast anyways. Two of them would also hog loads of power as well.