N-Europe

IE is causing lots of slowdown?

Rummy

Basically, I'm on my sister's laptop, which is like...a year or two old? (the one i used before is still out of commision til i have some more time)

This one's got IE 6 on it, which I assume it came with. However, for some reason I can't fathom, IE tends to cause loads and loads of slowdown at times, especially when I'm browsing these forums with it in fact. I don't use tabs with IE, despite this version having the capabilities, but I tried tabs earlier instead of opening multiple windows and it was just as bad as if I opened lots of windows.

Another thing it does sometimes is that it will open a new window, but in the new window the title will not load(like on the taskbar it just looks like an IE window, but no name, just an icon and upon clicking and bringing it up the window is basically all blank) and nothing in the window will load either. These types of windows can't be X'd out of either, though they do not neccessarily occur in conjunction with the aforementioned slowdown problem.

I usually have to close IE through the task manager, usually through the processes part as the faulty windows do not show under the applications tab. Earlier there was some mega slowdown, and I managed to close all the IE windows normally/relatively normally(such as the not responding -> end now window appearing). After this the system was still running a bit slow, and I CAD'd and saw under processes IEXPLORE was still running. In all circumstances of problems described here, IE is consuming the most memory out of everything in the processes tab, and also the most CPU, usually over 90.

Can anyone tell me how to fix/determine the cause of this problem? I am not looking for answers such as 'get a mac' or 'get ff/safari/opera/other browser here'. That is simply avoiding the problem rather than solving it, which I'd like to do if possible.

I just updated a little while ago, I see IE 7 has a different font, reminds me a bit more of FF like this, I'll see how it goes and whether I get trouble still, thanks.

EDIT: I see that the tabbed browsing before was actually done by a Windows Live Toolbar which my sister probably installed, and I reckon it might have just been that lingering around IE causing problems maybe. I uninstalled it anyway, because it annoys me in the new look IE. What also annoys me is the explorer bar right at the top :(