NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Samdecahedron

Wireless Connection Issues!

For some odd reason, my internet kept disconnecting me yesterday, and eventually i decided to reset my router thinking it may fix it. It didn't, in fact now every time i try to connect to my router, i get the message 'Wireless connection has limited or no connectivity'. I have tried re-installing the router, and the 'dongle' i use to connect to it, and it still doesn't work. My Ethernet cable still works fine though, so it's only a problem with the wireless side of it. I really have no idea what's wrong, but if anyone could take the time to try and help me, i would really appreciate it.

Check the settings of the router for DHCP and make sure it's enabled. Or you could try to set a static ip for the pc. Use the same first three numbers that you use when connecting to the router's configuration page. Change the last one to something other than what the router has (between 1 and 254 though)

example:

if the router setup page is at 192.168.1.1 put the pc on 192.168.1.2

Check the settings of the router for DHCP and make sure it's enabled. Or you could try to set a static ip for the pc. Use the same first three numbers that you use when connecting to the router's configuration page. Change the last one to something other than what the router has (between 1 and 254 though)

example:

if the router setup page is at 192.168.1.1 put the pc on 192.168.1.2

Rightio, i did that and it doesn't say the limited thingy anymore, but it still doesn't work. No reason is given, and when i try to repair it, it fails because it 'cannot clear the DNS cache'. And now my internets cutting off every 10 seconds. I swear I'm going to kill someone.

Humm... In the mean time.

If you are running Xp SP2, please type the following into the command line.

Netsh winsock reset

-Then hit "enter". It may ask you for confirmation, then restart. Tell it yes to both. This will reset your winsock file back to default if it has become corrupted.

And now my internets cutting off every 10 seconds.
Define? Windows wireless is connecting/reconnecting every 10, or in general hardwired? In addition, are you now using DHCP or manually IP assignment your system?

The connection just kept dropping every 10 seconds, my router wouldn't connect to anything, failed some tests. I replaced it with my home hub, and its fine now. Wireless is still a problem, but I'm using Ethernet and it seems fine now. Netsh winsock reset didn't seem to achieve anything other than bring up a window, which dissapeared.

Tell me, when you referred to "reset" the router, you were speaking about cycling the power on and off, or physically holding in the router configuration reset button for about 10 seconds?

What is the router model/brand , how long it has been in use, and your ISP type(cable/DSL?)

It's a BT Voyager 2091, got it free with my internet. Been in use for about a year now. And the reset was on the config on the PC itself, not the router. I'm not to sure what ISP type i am, this stuff really isn't my thing.

I reccomend resetting the entire router via its reset button.

You will find the reset button on the back of the router, it will probably look one of the pin-hole buttons you need a paperclip to press. Hold it in for at least 12 seconds let it sit for 30, then power it on and off and give it a go.

Unfortunety, you have the modem/router god-awful combo. I prefer my ISPs when they give me just the modem, and I use whatever router I want.

I reccomend resetting the entire router via its reset button.

You will find the reset button on the back of the router, it will probably look one of the pin-hole buttons you need a paperclip to press. Hold it in for at least 12 seconds let it sit for 30, then power it on and off and give it a go.

Unfortunety, you have the modem/router god-awful combo. I prefer my ISPs when they give me just the modem, and I use whatever router I want.

Alrighty, I'll give it a go tomorrow. Thanks for all your help guys.

Sign in to follow this