NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Eddage

Converting Windows Media Center Recordings

Just wandering if any Media Center users knew of any programs that can convert the .asf format that are created when you record a tv program?

I usually use VirtualDub for this sort of thing but it says that it cannot convert the file?

Cheers for any help!

There are two routes that I would try.

i) Install avisynth (a great move) and create a text file with the extension .avs, where the text file contains the line:

DirectShowSource("Full FilePath of asf file", fps=25, convertfps=true)

So it'll be an avs file with a line like:

DirectShowSource("C:\Documents and Settings\Twilight Link\My Documents\My Videos\TV Show.asf", fps=25, convertfps=true)

Then you can open this text file in virtualdub and avisynth will work its magic.

Or

ii) Get ffmpeg, open a command window and use the commandline:

"full path to ffmpeg.exe" -i "full path to file" -f mpeg -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mpg

Then you can open the resulting mpeg2 file in virtualdubmpeg2 (a virtualdub modification).

I tried the first approach, however, when I try to open the .avs file in VirtualDub it just gives me this message...

Avisynth open failure:

Script error: DirectShowSource does not have a named argument "convert fps" (C:\Documents and Settings\Edd\My Documents\test.avs, line 1)

Any ideas?

Nope, I just copied and pasted what you wrote here (I changed the file destination) so it should be correct?!

Did you install an old version of avisynth?

This is the most up to date stable version:

Link

I've now installed that version and it comes back with...

vdubkp0.gif

The file is definitely there!? Could it be that a 'Microsoft Recorded TV Show' has a different extension to .asf?

Oh, you assumed it was an asf file? I believe they are normally dvr-ms files.

Oh, you assumed it was an asf file? I believe they are normally dvr-ms files.

Well when you try to open it in VirtualDub it says something along the lines of "Microsoft holds the patent to ASF file format", or something along those lines!

A dvr-ms file uses the asf container but the file extension for these files is usually dvr-ms. Go into Windows Explorer and turn on file extensions then all confusion will be done away with.

Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View>Untick "Hide Extensions for known file types"

Ok, so I cahnged the file extension in the notepad file to .dvr-ms. I know get a message saying "No video stream found" when I try to open it with VirtualDub!

Do you have a link to the download? I've Googled it and have found what I believe is the website but am having trouble downloading it.

Sign in to follow this