NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Balfron

Looking Good - The Case for Good Graphics

Nobody ever managed to push the GC to its true limits graphics wise. People oohed and aaahed at the site of RE4 and the truth was it could have been bettered if anyone had tried. Given a good bit of talent and know-how a developer could make a game shine on Wii without upping the power.

I've mentioned it before, but in days of old developers would actually try to optimise code and create new techniques of pushing the envelope when the roof of a system had been hit....Now its all lazyness....port this, devkit that, use this stock sample.

We live in a generation where when a techology wall is hit the developer just waits for the next technology to realise their dream.

The one thing in favour of the Wii's given technology is that many smaller studios can develop without a large budget and if anyone will truly push the envelope it will be them. (Zootfly apparently are now developing for the system based on that...another one on board)

At the moment for many developers the ps2 is still a profitable platform to develop for. Cheaper, easier, and that massive install userbase. More so than the ps3. The ps2 won't die for now. Even the original playstation lived into a portion of the ps2's life.

At the moment for many developers the ps2 is still a profitable platform to develop for. Cheaper, easier, and that massive install userbase. More so than the ps3. The ps2 won't die for now. Even the original playstation lived into a portion of the ps2's life.

Even so, the Wii's profitability will surpass it quickly. As in, the coming six months already. The PS2 is a dying platform; no (or not many anyway) developer(s) will have started a PS2 project from scratch this year.

One was announced today, tales of fandom, Japan only. But meh.
Heheh I knew that was coming, that's why I said 'from scratch' :heh:

Tales of Fandom Vol.2 is a direct sequel to Tales of Fandom Vol.1, meaning that their porting engine, textures, character design and basically they'll only build new levels. It won't be nearly from scratch.

*Laughs maniacally for my future telling skillz*

Rank - System - January sales - Lifetime sales through Jan.

1. Wii ~ 436,000 - 1,516,000

2. PS2 ~ 299,000

3. 360 ~ 294,000 - 4,800,000

4. PS3 ~ 244,000 = 933,000

5. NDS ~ 239,000

6. PSP ~ 211,000

7. GBA ~ 179,000

8. NGC ~ 34,000

US sales. As you can see the PS2 is far from dead. I wouldnt expect the PS2 to Wii ports to suddenly cease anytime soon.

Of course the Wii will eventually hit its stride with original software, I just wish it was sooner than later because my Wii is nothing more than a Super Nintendo right now

US sales. As you can see the PS2 is far from dead. I wouldnt expect the PS2 to Wii ports to suddenly cease anytime soon.

Of course the Wii will eventually hit its stride with original software, I just wish it was sooner than later because my Wii is nothing more than a Super Nintendo right now

Off course we'll see old ports. Because developers are at the stage in wich they need to test the limits of the console and at the same time make a game. They can't spend half a year making demoes for the controller - so they take an old game and try to benefit from that. They add the motion-sensing and when done properly they know it will enhance the experience. Developers are jsut not rich enough to throw months of research on an unproven console. So it's a safe bet. But when Michel Ancel comes with an ideal proposition, nobody is going to ignore it. be sure there is plenty of original titles heading for you're favorite white box. No not your iPod - ignorant fool!

We knew those numbers were coming and we knew how they would look - and these numbers protect the cause for good gameplay and less superior graphics. You should look at it differently. in two years from now, those PS2 games will be outdated - they can't port those anymore by then. So they have to develop new IP's, since they can't port over from PS3 and X360. We'll see plenty of good stuff.

But I'm standing with my cause: you're looking for multimedia, not for graphics and certainly not for games and graphics.

Sign in to follow this