N-Europe

.AVI with a grey flicker...

Rummy

I just tried to play an .avi I downloaded, and when I do(well, if i do anything at all, basically when the file is accessed in any way i think) a thingy pops up about the streams or some malarky and how the file was not made for sequential viewing or something, and it would need to be reinterlaced if it was to be put onto slow media like CD/DVD(something to that effect).

My first question, what is this AVI chunk viewer(for some reason the name AVI splitter is in mind, but i dunno why). So yeah, any information on that would be appreciated.

The real problem however, is that the video then plays(without sound) and constantly flickering grey, which is annoying. I tried updating my XP codec pack, but to no effect. Is there anything which could clean up such a problem in a file, and what is causing it anyway? Is it due to this AVI splitter taking things over? Any light shed on the matter is appreciated!

VLC? Ok thanks, I actually deleted the file because I tried something and accidentally did it to the original which was irreversible anyway, even so, I'd still like more info in case it happens again(might redownload the file too).

Would I be right in thinking the AVI chunk viewer thing has something to do with audio and video streams not being properly in synch?

EDIT:I did try VLC, checked it out quickly after redownloading the file, seemed like the video was fine, didn't check sound yet. Thanks very much! Still looking for any info about the avi chunk viewer stuff if anyone knows.