N-Europe

De-cluttering my desk.

Ice9

Currently I have, sitting on my desk, a chunky old CRT and a chunky old TV. What I am basically looking to do is to get rid of both of those, and run all my electronics through one display.

I need output displays for my PC, Wii and Freeview box (scart output, but i think you can buy scart -> composite video cables).

As far as I'm aware I have 2 options:

1. Use an LCD TV and run them through that, just as long as it has a VGA input, possibly incurring higher costs.

2. Use a TFT/LCD monitor, as long as it has composite video.

I'm just really confused as to advantages/disadvantages, or the logistics of any of this. I'm not really looking for anything high end, and as a rule of thumb, cheaper is better.

Anyone have any information/websites/ideas that might be useful to me? Thanks for any help.

On my desk at uni, I have a 19inch widescreen monitor and a smaller lcdtv/monitor that I use for dual display. Running both through one like you said is nice (think I saw DiemetriX doing that in one of his videos), but dual display has the advantage of letting you do more than one at once!

It was cool playing the Japanese Naruto game on my LCD TV with the translation details from gamefaqs on my monitor next to me :D And adding Wii friends is very easy. Then there's dual display functions just for the PC, like a game in the left window and iTunes and msn in the right.

I have some pics... but they're not really ideal because they were taken a while ago and for different purposes....

[edit: decided to remove my pics]

So yeah, personally given the choice I'd stick with my dual display. If I got a nice big LCD HDTV I'd probably use that solely for movies and put it somewhere else ^_^

Guest Stefkov

Since I got my tv, i've wanted a dual display. I could probaly go and by an LCD monitor but I cant be bothered.

Howeber with my tv being my tv, monitor, 360/Wii display, dvd player display. All I need to do is keep all my remotes/controllers by the side of me, and press a button while sat down in the comfort of my chair.

It would be quite fun to see my pc running on a 26" tv then a 19" LCD monitor next to it, dual screen.