NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cookyman

Help me out! router help needed badly!

Hi guys hopefully someone can help me out here!

I have just bough a Buffalo airstation wireless g 125 high speed router for my cable modem (telewest).

I chose this router because reviews have said it's basically plug and play with telewest so perfect choice I thought.

Now heres the problem - my cable modem (motororola sb4200) has been connected to my PC using usb. Now this router needs an ethernet connection so I wired it up as stated in the manual but having no joy there so I though I'd connect the cable modem to the pc directly with the ehternet cable to see if that would work - again no luck there.

My cable modem works fine with the usb cable but cant get it to work with ethernet cable at all.

I've tried reinstalling the blueyonder setup with ethernet cables setup but no luck there either - can anyone help - I'm desperate to get my Wii online!

if you do know how to help me please explain clearly as I'm new to this wireless stuff! :(

Thanks in advance!

I think I'm having the same kind of problem setting up my router however I don't have a USB cable and think I have worked out what I'm supposed to do.

So there should be a wire going from your modem into your router (internet line) however I am guessing this may be where your USB socket is. If that is the case and it won't go into your router you may well need a USB>Ethernet like the Official Wii one but it won't need to be that one.

Then once that is connected then you have a seperated ethernet line (which should have come with your router) which you connect to your computer's ethernet port.

This should work unless it is a problem with the configuration.

Oh yeah, I WANT that Jack Black Mii. :p

First, and really basic question, did you unplug the usb cable from the modem while you tried the ethernet? It is really basic, and I don't mean to insult you by asking, but I know people who've overlooked it before.

Did you set up all the stuff on the router such as username/password etc to connect if you need to use any of that? I don't know alot about things, plus I have AOL bband and a dlink router, so my setup procedure is probably quite different from yours.

Does the router have any sort of quick setup wizard type thing? Have you actually managed to access the router through the PC yet?

I think I'm having the same kind of problem setting up my router however I don't have a USB cable and think I have worked out what I'm supposed to do.

So there should be a wire going from your modem into your router (internet line) however I am guessing this may be where your USB socket is. If that is the case and it won't go into your router you may well need a USB>Ethernet like the Official Wii one but it won't need to be that one.

Then once that is connected then you have a seperated ethernet line (which should have come with your router) which you connect to your computer's ethernet port.

This should work unless it is a problem with the configuration.

Oh yeah, I WANT that Jack Black Mii. :p

The modem should have both a port for a USB cable(it isnt a USB port though) and an ethernet port. Using an ethernet cable you connect the modem to the WAN port on the router. Then with another cable connect the PC to one of the other ethernet ports on the router.

Another problem may be the type of cable you are using, there are two types of ethernet cable. Crossover and Patch cable, do you know which you are using, and whether the modem/router can work with both?

Got my router working today after a lot of farting about! but got there in the end.

Basically reformatted my drive and started from scratch - worked a treat had router up and running in 5 minutes!

Sign in to follow this