NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
gmac

Help! PC not playing fair

right my pc all of a sudden decided to stop working, now when I attempt to turn it on all that happens is either it will come on for 2/3 secs then power off or it will stay on but it won't go to the boot sequence, now I've stripped it down to the bare bones so that only the mobo is connected to the power supply, now the power works fine every time but still no fucking beeps

so anyone any ideas?

power supply?

mobo?

RAM?

GPU?

personally i think it's the power supply but I just wanna check and see if anyone else has had a similar problem

well power supply confirmed as ok now as I've tried it with one that does work, which of course now means cpu or mobo problems :(

Could be also that the power supply can't output enough power.

So now you should test it by unplugging everything, and just leaving the cpu and a single memory module (and maybe the graphics card). Then boot that up and if all goes well, start plugging everything back one at a time. That way you should get some idea on what is causing it.

already done the barebones test, still doesn't work, used MSI D-Bracket 2 (debug tool for MSI mobos) to try and diagnose the problem and it's hanging on the first stage, which according to them means a processor problem :(

My computer acted identically a couple of weeks ago and while I was trying to figure it out I fitted a new PSU and I also cleaned the processor (all the paste seemed to be dry and cracking and the fan was getting clogged). Now my comp works fine - but I'm not sure whether it was the PSU or the CPU that was at fault because I didn't do an in-between test. I realise this doesn't help you too much, but good luck, I know it's a pain in the ass when things like this happen.

If that don't work then it seems you got a problem BIOS chip or its a power problem on the mobo but yes try taking everyone out the mobo and dusting/cleaning it.

Sign in to follow this