N-Europe

advice on new 2.1 PC soundsystem

Konfucius

I have a Creative Inspire 2.1 sound system for my PC at the moment but after serving me well for quite some years the overall quality isn't that good anymore.

Now I'd like to get a new one. Due to the shape of the room I can only go for a 2.1 system.

I'm a bit undecided whether to go for a Creative again or try a JBL - the price doesn't really matter that much but shouldn't exceed 150€.

A friend got the JBL Creature II and that sounds pretty good actually.

And then there's the Creative I-Trigue L3800 which has pretty tempting specs too.

However the Creative speakers I have at the moment are a bit heavy on the bass side, so especially the text/voice is pretty hard to understand.

However on the other hand my Creative Zen Touch really brings the mid- and high tones out - just as I like it.

Do you guys have any experience with the products mentioned above or any suggestions for an alternative?

Thanks in advance.

There is a knob that controls the bass volume in the subwoofer. Or at least there should be...

And at least a year ago logitech's 2.1 systems outperformed the creative ones.

Also if you're not too fond of the bass, you could try M-Audio's Studiopro 3. A bit pricey for just a 2.0 system, but it might suit your needs. And I would recommend that, if possible, you test-hear the speakers. It would be best if you could test all the options in one room, as the room acoustics can make the speakers sound very different.

And if your subwoofer is currently close to a wall, I suggest that you move it further away from the wall. Because having a speaker near a wall generally boosts the bass pretty significantly.

On a friends - thanks Sonic238 - advice I went for the harman/kardon soundsticks II.

They are absolutely fantastic. I had a chance to compare them to the Creative I-Trigue and they are a lot cleared. I now hear little details in my music I never could notice before. Also the bass doesn't dominate and gives out a clear sound unlike the unidentifyable Creative boooooom.

Overall absolutely great product.