N-Europe

PSU Making Annoying Sound

JMarimon

Hey guys, got a quick question for you techies.

I recently (About two months) got a new old PSU. It is the old one from my mom's computer. My old one got way too hot, and blew up. Anyhow, the "new" one very recently began to make an awful buzzing/vibrating/grinding type of noise. I greased the PSU fan, and it seemed to stop for about a week. Though, it has returned. I'd really love to stop it for good. It seems that when I push on the metal casing right in front of the fan, it stops.

So, anyone know how that sort of thing might be fixed without buying a new one? Thanks. :bowdown:

Guest Jordan

Unsafe option: Use the PSU without a fan, however you can't run any massivly high powered programs that require a crap load of power ie: games, photo editing etc.

Safe option: Buy a new one.

Unsafe option: Use the PSU without a fan, however you can't run any massivly high powered programs that require a crap load of power ie: games, photo editing etc.

Safe option: Buy a new one.

Well, as great as those both sound, don't think they're going to happen. I know it can be fixed, as it can be stopped. I just don't feel like holding my hand down there forever. What causes a fan to do that? Something unbalenced, a ball-bearing..?