NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nucleus

Grub, Freezing and the Blue Screen of Death!

Alright, I need some serious help. Recently, my computer has begun to either freeze or go to the Blue Screen of Death. When I restart the computer one of two things will happen. Either the computer will boot up normally and then go to the Grub Multi-Boot screen (multiple hard-drives: Windows XP, Suse Linux 9.1) OR the computer will do all of the pre-load checks and then the screen will remain black with only "Grub" being displayed. Once this comes up, the only thing that I can do is press ctrl-alt-del to restart the computer and hope that it works normally. So far, it seems completely random whether my computer will load properly or if it will go to this screen.

While my computer was running, I was able to run a Spybot-S&D Scan and schedule an Avast! Antivirus Bootscan which retrospectively found three adaware files and 1 virus. They have been deleted. I also was able to use Crapcleaner to clean the computer and perform a couple of registry fixes as well as using another seperate registry cleaner.

One more thing to mention, twice, while running an Adaware scan, the computer has bolloxed up - Once to the BSOD and once freezing. However, before it froze on the second attempt, it did find one problem with a registry key. Just thought that might be the problem...

(Two recent installations - Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion AND PowerISO. I thought that PowerISO might have done something to the boot by creating a Virtual Drive [bit of a blank area for me so sorry if thats bull] so I uninstalled it but to no avail).

So, can anyone give me some help before I'm forced to spend money to get it fixed? Thanks guys.

I would use win xp system restore to go back before the problem, use your bootable 9.1 suse disk...or download 10.1 suse and upgrade, and use them to repair grub, and check your HDD with both scandisk for the windows NTFS paritition, then run the diagnostic tool from your HDD manufature and scan for any and all failures and bad sectors.

Sign in to follow this