NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Program to underclock system

I have an Acer 3023 laptop, and would like to know if there's a way to get the system to underclock itself when not plugged in.

The problem is that the battery currently does not least very long (normally 2 hours max), and pretty much the only thing ill be doing on it when it isn't connected to the mains is typing astrophysics notes in Word.

Specs are:

AMD Sempron Processor 3000+ 1.8GHz

ATi Redeon X700 PCI-e 128MB

80GB HDD (plus 320GB external HDD)

512MB DDR RAM

Also, as the processor isnt the fastest (well, it's fast for a laptop), is it worth upgrading the RAM to 1GB for aroung £70?

Do you have a 64bit Sempron, if so that helps.

Basically, all AMD 64bit CPU's (the Sempron too i think) have the capablity to run "cool 'n quiet" technology. Because of this, your computer downclocks your CPU to about a third or so of its power to increase battery life and decrease heat.

You should also make sure you have set your power settings on Windows correctly.

Start menu > control panel > power options > click the top drop down box and select laptop. This will regulate the power much more efficently.

Your only option is to try see if they do a larger battery.

Its a 32bit processor, and the power is set to laptop.

I'll look for a battery now.

Yeah your in the same boat with me. Its a great processor but the battery gets sucked dry in no time. For now all you can do is reduce the screen brightness, and maybe make sure wireless functions and the correct power management settings are used. Besides getting a new battery, the only thing you can do is see if you can part exchange, or look at getting a laptop with a turion processor in. Laptopsdirect do some pretty ok deals.

Sign in to follow this