N-Europe

Tech Help: Online game problems.

Ice9

Im going to try to be as specific as I can so its more likely people can help, as i realise the amount that can be wrong with online games is quite vast..

Basically I cannot play any online games. I have tried 3, but im sure it must be the same problem.

Game 1: Day Of Defeat Source

After bringing up the server list there is usually a much lower amount of servers fitting my filter settings (ping <100) but i join one about 50 - 60 ping. It loads all the way through until there is 2 bars left to go and it is 'sending client data' then it just stops/freezes the game up.

Game 2: Call of Duty 1

After the multiplayer main menu i click on the option to play multiplayer and it freezes.

Game 3: Battlefield 2

I connect to the account server fine, the server list is a little slow but loads, the entire map loads and i can start playing. However my ping jumps to around 500 and 'there is a problem with your connection' appears every few seconds. Unplayable.

Anyway, details. I have a D-Link 604T+ wireless router which I connect to using the USB dongle that comes with it and my wireless LAN card, which is an Am1772. The signal strength is 'excellent' or 'very good'. My internet connection is Pipex 2Mbps.

Everything else using the internet such as bittorrent, itunes podcast downloads, browsing, just all apps work perfectly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Is it ok today? As it might have been a temporary problem with your connection. And having a wireless connection for online games is a BAD thing. So anything can screw it up momentarily, microwave ovens, TV's, radios etc.

Did it work fine before? And did you switch to wireless connection just a while ago?

Is it ok today? As it might have been a temporary problem with your connection. And having a wireless connection for online games is a BAD thing. So anything can screw it up momentarily, microwave ovens, TV's, radios etc.

I know, its mainly my dads idea, he doesnt like having cables around the place :(

Did it work fine before? And did you switch to wireless connection just a while ago?

I've had a connection for ages now, it used to work until i upgraded my computer. I got a new Mobo, CPU and GPU, and also reformatted at the same time. The games used to work absolutely fine.

Have you tried disabling your firewall, or telling it to allow those apps? Also, how well does your PC handle offline games?

I'll try it now with it off. All games run perfectly offline, its a mid range PC.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

I got it fixed...somehow!

I don't know what i did but it all seems to be working fine now. One of the things I tried must of been right, so thank you all for your help.