NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
old_gregg

Beta testing?

Hey guys. I was just wandering if any of you lot knew how to get into Beta testing. I've heard its a good way of getting into the games industry and accquire some programming knowledge.

So if any of you could provide me some links, advice etc I would be most grateful.

Thanking you in advance,

Old Gregg.

In Beta testing you will have to play a game solidly for weeks, trying to find every single bug. I can't think of anything worse as the chance of getting a decent game are pretty low. Even then it would be very boring to try and break the game in anyway you could.

Also it wouldn't lead to programming knowledge as you just play the games; if you want that you should take a programming degree and focus on C++. Making games is big business now, getting into the industry via something like Beta testing may have been the case 20 years ago, but now they will want fully qualified graduates.

Personally speaking I think Beta testing would be very boring, no matter how much you like games. Of course there are worse jobs but if you actually want to make games it isn't the way to go.

^^^^Sorry I failed to mention that I'm doing a Business/computing degree as well. Beta testing would merely be a steping stone to greater things.

Edit: and to do in spare time

In that case you should learn C++ with the aim of making some basic games yourself. Then you can apply to development jobs directly. With a good Business/Computing degree it will show you not only have an interest but a brain behind it. If you're not doing C++ on your course then you'll have to do it in your own time. My computer science course had the option of it in the third year but focused mainly on Java. Once you know the principles of programming you can generally pick other languages up without too much trouble.

Sign in to follow this