N-Europe

Surround Sound?

Demuwan

I am keen on expanding my entertainment centre and after buying a HDTV my next stop is a Surround sound system.

The thing is I already have a very capable High def Samsung DVD recorder and have more than enough DVD players in my house (7 to be exact). So I was wondering if it is possible to buy a Surround sound system with just the speakers and the Subwoofer and without the DVD player included so I can just connect it to my existing player?

PS. Is it possible to have the surround sound on when watching ordinary TV or SKY digital instead of only when watching a DVD.

So I was wondering if it is possible to buy a Surround sound system with just the speakers and the Subwoofer and without the DVD player included so I can just connect it to my existing player?

Depends on how much cash you're willing to spare. If you're looking for one of those cheap all in one packs for about 200-300€, then I doubt you'll find one without a dvd player. But since you say you've got a fairly high end dvd unit, I would recommend going for a more budget intensive solution: buy the components seperately. High end requires high end to get the high end out of it, get it? You can always get speakers in a set, as each brand has it's own surround product range with speaker sets. But you're most likely gonna have to buy the receiver seperately. I couldn't recommend you any at the moment, as I invested in my surround a couple years ago and haven't followed the industry since, but you're gonna have to ask yourself some important questions like: "Does it need to blow me away hifi wise too? Or just when I'm watching movies and such?"

PS. Is it possible to have the surround sound on when watching ordinary TV or SKY digital instead of only when watching a DVD.

Dolby Prologic II my friend: plug in any stereo device and simulate surround sound. Please note though that although it sounds nice, it's waaaaay off being remotely as good as true 5.1, so don't expect to be blown away by it. Or you can also switch your receiver to 5 channel stereo and get the same output through all speakers.

PS. The centre speaker is the most important speaker of them all! 80% of all you detail goes through that one, so cough it up and shop high!

Depends on how much cash you're willing to spare. If you're looking for one of those cheap all in one packs for about 200-300€, then I doubt you'll find one without a dvd player. But since you say you've got a fairly high end dvd unit, I would recommend going for a more budget intensive solution: buy the components seperately. High end requires high end to get the high end out of it, get it? You can always get speakers in a set, as each brand has it's own surround product range with speaker sets. But you're most likely gonna have to buy the receiver seperately. I couldn't recommend you any at the moment, as I invested in my surround a couple years ago and haven't followed the industry since, but you're gonna have to ask yourself some important questions like: "Does it need to blow me away hifi wise too? Or just when I'm watching movies and such?"

Dolby Prologic II my friend: plug in any stereo device and simulate surround sound. Please note though that although it sounds nice, it's waaaaay off being remotely as good as true 5.1, so don't expect to be blown away by it. Or you can also switch your receiver to 5 channel stereo and get the same output through all speakers.

PS. The centre speaker is the most important speaker of them all! 80% of all you detail goes through that one, so cough it up and shop high!

Thanx a lot for yout help!

Also since you seem to know what ure atlking about.

Im using a scart connection for my SKY and DVD but Im not sure If im getting the most out of these connections. Do you suggest RGB scart or S-video.

It has to be user-friendly because Im a bit crap at all this

The scart quality ladder goes as follows:

- stupid normal scart you get with your gamecube for instance, where you have to plug the yellow (image) and white/red (sound for left and right) into a scart blok thingy.

- Next up we have the S-video! It's certainly a step up from the first option, but your tv needs an S video input (round thingy). And if your tv support that, then it usually also supports RGB, which is again better.

- RGB is by far the best you can get for a normal tv. You have to check that your tv AND your dvd player or SKY thingy can handle rgb though. I couldn't find a pic on the net, but if you check the scart inputs on your tv, you always see that oval symbol with the arrow pointing towards it accompanied by AV1, AV2 or AV3 etc. Now if you've got 3 inputs for instance, there should be one or possibly two with a round oval symbol with three dots inside. Those dots stand for R G and B ;) Or you could push the menu button on your TV remote and check it that way. You most likely have to set that scart input to RGB through the menu anyways. You also most likely need to set your dvd to deliver RGB output in it's menu.

- But since you claim you have a high def tv, you should most certainly opt for the final, HDTV/projector only solution, being component cables. These consist of three cables in colors red, green and blue. Yeah I know, after RGB being one solid scart, this option returns to 3 seperate cables :) Type "component cables" in google and check the images, you'll see what I mean. But as always, check that all your units are compatible with it, as certainly not all dvd players support this high end output. Just check the backside and see if the colors match.

PS: I don't have a high end tv yet, so I wouldn't know how the step up from RGB to component looks like, but I can tell you that RGB definitely is a step up from the crappy normal scart. You might not notice it immediately, but check the fonts on the first warning screen you get when you insert a dvd, and you'll see what I mean! There's no more flickering!!! RGB also kick ass on a gamecube.

Well, I really gotta go now, my fruit's all laying around in animal crossing, gotta collect from nook!

I just found out my DVD recorder has a HDMI out. So I will use that from now on since its the best connection out there.

ps what is the difference between HDMI and DVI?

pss lol IS £80 for a Monster Gold HDMI a rip off or are they just that expensive.

Well, seems like you outsmarted me there dude, cause I don't know nothing about hdmi and dvi stuff as I haven't upgraded yet and am certainly not planning to until in a couple of years. So I'm afraid I can't help you anymore. About that price though, I bought myself an RGB scart for my low end dvd player that set me back 30 quid, so I can imagine that a MONSTER goLD HMDI connector would cost that much. Hell you even have speaker cable that costs that much - per meter!

Well, seems like you outsmarted me there dude, cause I don't know nothing about hdmi and dvi stuff as I haven't upgraded yet and am certainly not planning to until in a couple of years. So I'm afraid I can't help you anymore. About that price though, I bought myself an RGB scart for my low end dvd player that set me back 30 quid, so I can imagine that a MONSTER goLD HMDI connector would cost that much. Hell you even have speaker cable that costs that much - per meter!

Thanx for the help given. I appreciate it:santa:

A dvi is just another format of a dvd disc it's kinder da same as an avi.

Erm, I think a dvi is a digital video input. Check on the back of your pc for the graphics card. If you have a recent graphics card, chances are you'll have two outputs, one probably being a dvi output. So dvi is just a connector type. I think they're mostly used for flatscreen tft's (pc screens), and that hdmi is used for lcd/plasma stuff. You probably mean divx.

ps what is the difference between HDMI and DVI?

If I remember this right the HDMI lead carries the video+sound signal in digital form. It is getting more popular in the new dvd/digital player thingies. It basically eliminates the need for many separate wires between the amp/tv/ digital player thingy.

And do some searches on "high end" audio cables. I can assure you that you can't believe how high their prices are. And I mean regular ones with an RCA- connector.