N-Europe

Help needed

The Peeps

Hi all, recently I've been having some internet problems and I just can't seem to find out what's causing it.

Ok.. So I have a good internet connection (not totally sure but I know it has to be at least 4MB+) but I'm getting rubbish download speeds. Whenever I download files it starts off at a good rate (best was 1100kb/s) which it should download at normally, but it instantly starts going down until it gets to about 50kb/s and sticks at that. It's as if the speed is being drained...

I don't know what's causing it though, my pc is upstairs and I have one downstairs too (the family pc) and the downstairs one works just fine, speeds are fast and stay fast like they should. I've tried downloading the same file on both pc's to test my problem and it's always the same. The downstairs pc gets the file in 5 mins whereas the upstairs one would take 1hr or something to download it.

It can't be my pc that's at fault because I had it at my mums house until recently when I moved to live with my dad, it was acting fine until I moved it here.

I had it at my mums and it was fine, then I moved it here and the problem started. I'm using a router, all I did was plug the internet cable straight from my pc into the router (internet does work, just downloads are slow), should I have done something else when I plugged it in to make it work? I've looked at the router settings and I can't see anything that would be limitting my bandwidth... It's a big problem for me because I play MoHAA online and it's also taking me ages to connect to servers and sometimes doesnt connect at all.

Thanks to anyone who has read through that mess, I wasnt really sure how to explain the problem and thanks in advance for any help :)