NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Show Your Bones- Update: Review Added

Haha, our thread is more popular than yoooours! ;)

Well done? Run along now little child.

out of curiosity, is this out in the states first? i managed to get stellastarr really, really cheap on import a while back- might try a similar trick.

out of curiosity, is this out in the states first? i managed to get stellastarr really, really cheap on import a while back- might try a similar trick.

Nah, it's out in the US on 28th March (day later than here). I've stopped myself from importing Stellastarr's Harmonies For The Haunted, and luckily it's now due out early March, although I rekon there won't be alot of copies to go round.

great album is harmonies. do you have the first?

Yeah, it's probably my most listened to album over the last 6 months, so reason enough for why I'm anticipating HFTH.

Ive seen stellastarr live they were pretty good, i did not no of their album being out yet i must pick it up.

I'm seeing them next thursday =)

saw them at T in the park last year, too. converted about six mates at once to them while I was at it.

Update: I have got the album and, as promised, here is my review.

For starters, i have to tell you that i am a massive fan of the first album. I was a tiny bit skeptical about this new album, mainly due to the fact that i didn't think that the new album could ever surpass the first.

Here is my track by track analysis:

Gold Lion

Starts off with a drum lead intro, reminiscent of Queen's we will rock you. But, as soon as the vocals start, you know that this track belongs to the YeahYeahYeahs. The song manages to somehow evolve and keep evolving, peaking with a guitar solo about half way through the song. There's a nice mellow section which abruptly stops the song...only for karen o to bring it all back together! Very, very different from the material on the first album, but welcome. I give this 7/10. It's not their best, but it shows how their sound can vary, and that's a beautiful thing.

Way Out

I love the way this song starts out. Sounds a wee bit anthemic. I can guarantee that you will be humming this song or have it still playing in your head after it finishes. Karen's vocals really shine during the chorus, but seem a bit subdued during the verses. However, that's not a bad thing. Another fantastic solo here which is accompanied by some great drumming by Brian Chase. Worthy of an 8/10

Fancy

Starts off with another drum lead introduction, with the guitars coming in to backen it up. This song really is different to the songs off fever to tell. There is a certain maturity that the band have strengthened and developed, and this song summarises that up. However, at 4:24, it is the longest song on the album. Could maybe have been a bit shorter, as the band tend to excel at the shorter songs rather than long, drawn out epics. Fortunately, this is not painful listening. The drums really make this song, and shows how important Brian, as well as the other members, are important to this band. 7/10 is a very fair score for this.

Phenomena

My girlfriend is a very big YeahYeahYeahs fan, and the chorus really captured her. In my opinion, the verse guitar riff makes the song. Each instrument seems to speak out to you as a seperate entity, but yet as one at the same time. There's a little funky bit where an alarm is going off in the backward, and that reminds me of all samples that the band like to play around with. The interlude sounds VERY rage against the machine-y, but that is a great thing. I would have to say that this is one of the strongest tracks on the album, and therefore an 8/10 seems to do it justice for me.

Honeybear

Yet another strong introduction from the band. At 2:25 this is the shortest song on the album.But the band seem to really surpass themselves with this song. They've created a song worthy to be sang out by crowds at the top of their lungs during gigs. This track really has to be heard. An 8.5/10

Cheated Hearts

Apparantly, this track was first introduced 2 years ago (or so) during a live session. My girlfriend tells me that the song has really come along since then and has come into its own. I really fell in love with this song as soon as it started. As soon as the chorus came into play, i knew that this song has just about surpassed every song that appears on fever to tell. It's melodic, it's beautiful, and it's sexy. This song deserves 9.5/10.

No song is perfect, but this is damn, mighty close.

Dudley

After cheated hearts, this song slows the pace down and brings us into the melody section of the album. This song is one for the lovers, and for those who basically just like to relax and be at one with themself and music. It's not as great as the other songs, but it's still a fantastic track in its own right. 7/10.

Mysteries

As it starts up, this song has a smooth country feel to it. It's one of the weaker songs on the album, but if this is weak then it just shows how good this album really is. A fast-picking solo by Nick Zinner is worth listening for. 6/10

The Sweets

A very, very slow song that perhaps slows the pace down too much. It's a peaceful song and is along the lines of "modern romance". Again, one of the weaker songs on the whole album. I'm not a great fan of this. There is a section near the end where it speeds up and changes. Reminds me of behind blue eyes by the Who. It's certaintly a redeeming feature for this song. Not great. 5/10

Warrior

Carries on the theme of slow songs. Karen's voice really is the key to this song, and i think she makes the song what it is. Around 2:18, this song really kicks off with Nick Zinner coming in with the guitars and upping the tempo. From there on, it's a classic. A 7/10 seems pretty decent for this song.

Turn into

The guitar intro made me feel a bit teary, and from then on i knew that this song was going to be great. You can feel it as the song progresses. This is a tear-jerker of a song, but sort of uplifting at the same time. It's up there, along with cheated Hearts, as the best song of the album. Just the way it sounds speaks volumes about how far this band have come. The guitar solo seems strange, but weepy. It almost brought me to tears, and for a song to do that it must have some sort of hidden power. You can't put your finger on it, but you know it's there. 9.5/10. This song NEEDS to be heard.

Bonus Track: De Ja Vu

I think this should have been included on the album, but not as a bonus track. It would have made a fantastic intro to the album, and that saddens me a little. Fantastic vocals, and the rocky, hard-edged sound of the music accompany it well. The solo is one to watch out for, and probably one of the best on the whole album. I strongely urge you to check out this track, as it is a personal favourite of mine. 9/10

So, there you have it. It's a fantastic album, and it definitely exceeded my expectations. Do not go into this expecting it to be Fever To Tell. This is NOT fever to tell, this is the next chapter in the story that is the YeahYeahYeahs. I hope this review helps someone out there.

Yeah i love it! It is such a good album, I cant stop listening to it! One of the songs i can't remember which one they do on the live DVD (tell me what rockers to swallow) ive got which is about 2 years old i guess.

Its awesome, Karen O has an amazing voice. Cant wait to see them again in May :)

Yeah i love it! It is such a good album, I cant stop listening to it! One of the songs i can't remember which one they do on the live DVD (tell me what rockers to swallow) ive got which is about 2 years old i guess.

Its awesome, Karen O has an amazing voice. Cant wait to see them again in May :)

It could be cheated hearts, have another listen.

I think the album is great, and it's slightly beating Fever to tell in terms of overall album quality, in my opinion.

Where you going to see them? London?

Where you going to see them? London?

No couldnt get tickets, both dates in London sold out too quick.

Im going to the ATP festival weekender at Camber Sands which one day the saturday i think is "Yeah yeah yeahs day" They headline and have chosen all the other bands to play with them for the whole day! They also take over the Televsion network and decide what to put on during the night (films etc).

All the other bands are pretty poo but its a weekend away and i get to see YYY's again :)

http://www.atpfestival.com <--- check it out

Listening to the album right now, love it.

I might just get Show Your Bones, but I'll get Fever To Tell first. I don't know why I didn't bother getting it in 2003, I had so much spare time.

I might just get Show Your Bones, but I'll get Fever To Tell first. I don't know why I didn't bother getting it in 2003, I had so much spare time.

Pick up both together. ;) You can get fever to tell for somewhere between the £4-£8 mark now.

Sign in to follow this