N-Europe

Game Development

dwarf

I've just watched a Ken Levine interview, the lead designer of the BioShock franchise. He's by no means a genius, but he offers some rare insights into the development, marketing and tinkering that goes on behind the scenes in videogame production. As gamers we don't tend to pay too much attention to the craftsmanship involved in games because, for us, doing so inevitably shatters those illusions that developers struggle so strongly to uphold in order to keep us immersed. I might add that it's usually a losing struggle to mask these technical flaws from gamers even in the finished product, and it's these technical flaws that prevent games from attracting serious attention and criticism in the mainstream media. So I understand why sometimes it's better to turn a blind eye to all of the cog-turning because it can spoil the magic somewhat.

At other times, it's dead interesting.

So here's the interview with Ken Levine:

I also think this is a great read on the creation of Crash Bandicoot - how the title evolved and what it represented in terms of the success of the Playstation and its competition with the inexorable Mario series.

http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

And finally, one of the more exciting ways I've seen developer/gamer interaction is in Valve's developer commentaries. If you bought the Orange Box hopefully you would've taken the time to play through the Half-Life games a second time round, which gives you access to orange dialogue boxes as you play (as shown in the vid). So much thought goes into the design you just wouldn't imagine, you gain a real appreciation for how games are simply unable to make themselves. Whether the commentary is basic description for the way lighting can be manipulated to guide players to the next location or if it's about effective ways of implementing narrative, the whole experience was really engaging and informative, and I think other developers would do well to emulate Valve in this area.

I'm not usually the type to care about technical, mechanical things but I love games to the extent that the education becomes addictive and entertaining.

If you've found some interesting developer reads/watches, or if you enjoyed any of the above links, do share your thoughts.

Edited by dwarf