N-Europe

Graphics Card recomendations

DarioG

Hey i'm in a bit of a dillema i want to play new PC games with good frame rates and good graphics and was wonderin what was the best graphics card i can get for £200 or less. a link would cool too.

i was thinking of this one a G6800 GS

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=98817

or maybe a mid range X1600XT card from Ati, i'm not too sure on the specs but i've heard they have high core and memory speeds.

i know theres a few of these threads but i've not seen any recent ones and i want to make the right choice, cheers

The GeForce 6800 GS beats the X1600XT hands down -> see this review

The only competition it has is the regular GeForce 6800 which you can maybe unlock/overclock to a 6800GT. They're pretty rare and won't always work good when unlocked so you may want to go for the GS because it's a safer guess. Also the GS has Shader Model 3.0 support, meaning AoE 3 and other new games using SM3 look much better.

The GeForce 6800 GS beats the X1600XT hands down -> see this review

The only competition it has is the regular GeForce 6800 which you can maybe unlock/overclock to a 6800GT. They're pretty rare and won't always work good when unlocked so you may want to go for the GS because it's a safer guess. Also the GS has Shader Model 3.0 support, meaning AoE 3 and other new games using SM3 look much better.

yeah but when SM 4.0 comes what then?

SM over rated i got a x850xt pe and my mates got a 6800 U, any how we tested a acouple of SM3.0 gmaes like far cry, Matrix POA etc and there was no difference that i could see,

yeah but when SM 4.0 comes what then?

SM over rated i got a x850xt pe and my mates got a 6800 U, any how we tested a acouple of SM3.0 gmaes like far cry, Matrix POA etc and there was no difference that i could see,

Far Cry HDR requires SM3.0 :wink: