NEurope

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ashley

Excel Pivot Table Query

Hey guys,

I'm creating some long-winded report for work that will be disposed of in 10 minutes (woe) but having some trouble with a pivot table and wondering if you guys could help.

Basically they wish to cross-tabulate results for modules by programmes. They want the average grade, median grade, % failed, % passed and a count of how many students.

That's all fine, I've done that. But when I create the Pivot Table report it generates some automatic grand totals that make no sense. Please see below:

217f9t.jpg

The bold totals don't make sense (to me at least). For example the number of students for this particular programme is not 47, nor is that the sum of the modules listed below (that would be 167).

Excel gives no indication as to what it's from. Double clicking on it brings up a report with all the entries but it's not particularly helpful. I can't seem to hide it nor is it removed when I right click, go to PT Options and untick 'Grand Totals'.

Any ideas?

-edit-

Wait. I see, it's the [whatever] of that column. For example due to the way the table is set up the student count is done by getting the maximum of that field (as they're all the same in that row anyway). So the bit in bold is also looking for the maximum number of the modules listed within that programme. That's not what I want though, so have you got any ideas how to change that? Only seems to be able to change it for the whole column, so if I change it to sum it gives a sum of everything.