N-Europe

Sound system!

dazzybee

Okay, Ive had a 5.1 home cinema kit for a few years now and it's great for dvds and (bizarrely the wii) but you can't play much into it (its not a receiver). So I've been wanting to upgrade this and future proof myself slightly so I'm wanting to get a receiver and speaker kit which i can plug my wii in, sky hd, ps3 and apple tv. And obviously the wii u when it comes out, maybe even a standalone blue ray player at some point in the near future.

Been looking around and asking people and this is what I've settled on. But I thought there were sure to be a few tech heads here and wanted some final opinions. Is this a good choice?!

http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/onkyo/avx690/onky-avx690-blk

Immediately, it will connect to all you're asking - Wii by component, others by HDMI. You'll be limited to one more device via HDMI although in my travels I've only ever seen a max of 4 HDMI on receivers (and I spent months looking at my purchase).

The receiver seems to have some pretty good reviews with some great performance - and ultimately, that's what counts. The in-pack speakers are an unknown; they could be good, or they could be duds. Might be worth a little more research, your choice of speaker is as important as the receiver itself.

If your only concern is connecting more kit, it might just be worth getting hold of a HDMI selector rather than splashing out 3 ton on this, at least as a short term solution. If you are considering this as an upgrade, you really need to make the most of your cash. Perhaps consider 7.1. Its worth considering what you have at the moment and how much this is going to offer you as an upgrade.

Although, the best advice I can give is work out what your budget is and go into local independent stores and see what they advise, many will set up a system for you in a demo room. Plus, I haggled like a tight fisted bastard with mine, do the same. Or cut a deal with them for some PR in exchange for a discount - "local filmaker chooses our store for his home cinema needs" - after all, you're not averse to blowing your own trumpet.