NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

Dead hard drive - is is possible to extract data?

This morning, when I tried to start my computer up, it instantly turned off again, and did this is in a continuous cycle. My cousin came over and looked at it. First he unplugged the secondary hard drive, then both, then just the primary. The only time it went past the infinite boot loop was when the primary hard drive was was unplugged.

I'm guessing this means that primary hard drive is dead? I'd assume this as I've had it a while, and this issue has only just occurred. If this is definitely the case, then would there be any way to extract some of the data that's still on it? I still have important documents on there! Also, if I were to get a new hard drive and install Windows on it, would I loose any data in the secondary hard drive?

Thanks if anyone can help...

Edited by CoolFunkMan

There definitely are data recovery options for hard drives.

Seeing as yours wasn't damaged it seems like you should be able to find a rather down the line solution.

http://www.datarecoverylondon.co.uk/index.html

http://www.kingdomdatarecovery.co.uk/?gclid=CP2arJ3b16sCFYIMfAodw2BZPg

Those are just two just grabbed from Google after searching "data recovery".

I've never used any so I can't recommend.

But seeing as it wasn't burnt or smashed it should be fairly straight forward (you can pay a lot for that kind of recovery).

I can't help you with the other problem thought because... I've gone BLIND!

*runs around blind*

etcetdcfvgbb

EDIT: Okay my sight is back.

If you bought a new HDD and installed Windows, then reconnected your HDD it'd be fine.

I just did the same thing the other day and simply reconnected my two regular HDDs to a new motherboard (after installing a fresh Windows on an SSD) and it was all hunky dory.

Thanks for the help, I've managed to find a local data recovery service and I've handed the hard drive over to them. Hopefully my data will be rescued.

Sign in to follow this