Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Final Cut Express Help

Paj!

I don't know if anyone here even uses Final Cut Express but yeah...

I'm editing a film, and am working with several different sequences. I.e one has one camera's footage, another has the other camera, and then one called 'Rough Work' where I am roughly working out the edit itself. I started the project the other day and created the sequences for the camera footage just by choosing new-sequence- as you do, and plonking the footage in there, with the footage being ok as the setting for these sequences had a frame size of 1080 x 1920, fitting the footage itself. But today, whenever I make a sequence, the settings for the frame size are 720 x 576, and there seems to be no discernable way to SET the frame size in a sequence. I have no idea how to sort this or what's going on, but when I import the footage from a certain camera, it's oversized, and even if I manually scale it (with image and wireframe), it doesn't fit properly.

I just want to know If one can actually make a sequence how one wants...seems like an obvious thing. The only customisable things in the settings for sequences seem to be codecs and stuff, which I admittedly am fairly clueless about. The sequences that are 1080x1920 and are perfect atm all seem to have Apple Intermediate Codec as their 'compressor', but changing the codecs so far hasn't done much and I just don't really get what's going on.

Here's the item properties for the sequences that are OK:

Screenshot2011-07-29at221118.png

Here's the item properties for the sequences that are wrong and I dunno how to change/make like the OK ones...

Screenshot2011-07-29at221059.png

I have a feeling no one will be able to help.

Sorry, did both of these pieces of footage come from the same camera?

The reason why scaling the footage manually won't work is because they're different aspect ratios.

1920x1080 is 1.77778

720x480 is 1.5

Anyway, sorry I don't use FCE; After Effects all the way.

Does this help?

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?191068-How-do-I-set-the-sequence-frame-size-in-FCE

From the sounds of it you can't change this in FCE, only FCP?

So maybe change this stuff in another program before you use it in FCE.

Just get the After Effects trial and do this.

Yeah, some footage is 1920x1080, some is 1280x720.

Thing is, So should I be scaling the 1920x1080 stuff down then? I'm not actually sure how to do that *properly* but will endeavour now.

Thanks.

What are you aiming for output wise anyway?

What do you mean by this? (Bear in mind that while I can *use* Final Cut, I'm a n00b really when it comes to the purely technical stuff/numbers/terminology)

EDIT: Oh, i got the aftereffects trial - I'll look up how to scale stuff in that. If I fail I'll come back for more help. :P

Thanks btw.

EDIT II: No I have no idea what I'm doing. :(

Edited by Paj!