N-Europe

Surround sound problem with PS3

Dog-amoto

I've just bought a new Sony 40" LED TV which is pretty darned smart, but am having a little trouble with the surround sound for my PS3.

My old TV did not have an optical out cable, but this one does. I used to run my surround sound through a switcher box with a load of optical cables, which worked fine but was a bit messy and inconvenient so now I'd like to connect my TV to my sound system directly. When I do this, my V+ box, Xbox 360 (both connected by HDMI) and Wii (connected by component) all work fine, but am getting nothing from the PS3, except for through the TV speakers. I've tried swapping the Xbox and PS3 HDMI leads to see if it's a problem with the TV with no luck.

Now I assume this is due to something wrong on the PS3 settings as everything else works fine, but I can't find anything on the PS3 menu that'll fix it. The Audio Output settings are set to HDMI (that's why I can hear it through the TV) and none of the other options work either

Can anyone help or suggest anything?

Edited by Dog-amoto

Could it have something to do with Bravia Connect perhaps? I'd check the settings on your PS3, surround sound box, and TV regarding that. I know my Samsung TV always had problems with surround sound due to Samsung's Anynet software which tried to control things that I wanted to control manually, so I ended up turning it off in the end.

Have tried that, maybe I'll ring Sony. It's a weird problem that's for sure.

I've worked a solution out though for now, have just connected the PS3 with the AV cable to the sound system which works, but it's still more cables and more switching over but it'll do for now.