N-Europe

The Bus

Goafer

The Bus

This is the story of a vehicle that became an icon. Anyone who has ever driven a VW Bus already knows that it's a tale of freedom, love, friendship, breakdowns and adventure.

How did a post-WWII German utility vehicle come to represent freedom and peace around the world?

In The Bus, we answer this question by allowing the vehicle to act as the main character, and the people it carries along the way to be its voice. The film begins in Germany with a simple sketch that would change the world forever. What comes next is a wild ride that takes us through time following the evolution (the good, the bad and the ugly) of the vehicle that has established a colorful and resonant place in modern culture. From Woodstock to Hollywood, and Burning Man to Baja, we find people from all walks of life who share their stories and passion for The Bus.

VW Busses/Campers do have something about them. I've been fortunate enough to drive both a split screen (early, expensive ones) and a bay window and even though they are horrible to drive, slow, noisy, not too comfortable and generally death traps*, I still love them.

*in the event of a head on collision, there is a thin sheet of steel and about 10 inches of space between your legs and the car you hit. Nothing else.

It's true what someone says in the video about people waving and smiling. I only borrowed the split screen one for a day and I had countless people waving and 3 different people come up to me when it was parked and started asking questions and telling me stories about their experiences with them. I had exactly the same sort of thing when I had my beach buggy.

It's funny that the whole thing is a legacy of a certain Mr Hitler.

Archived