NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Drift

For those who want info about this displacment mapping thing

I've noticed there's lots of comments in the displacment mapping news, however no one seems to acctually know what it is, so I thought I'd just clear it all up.

I'm going to avoid going into details, so a simple way of explaining it, is that displacment mapping is like bump mapping only the object acctually ends up 3D, not simply an illusion based on lighting. In that regard, it's rather similar to a heightmap. (for those of you who don't know what a heightmap or bumpmapping is, say so and I'll explain).

However, ALL next gen systems can handle displacment mapping, infact the Unreal3.0 engine makes heavy use of displacment mapping, and that engine has already said to work fine on the PS3. Displacment mapping is a programming technique, and doesn't need any special hardware, thus it should run on all systems. However, the rev may have some special hardware optomisation, or Nintendo may have figured out a way to fix the main problem with displacment mapping.

That problem is that displacment mapping takes a large ammount of RAM, and to a certain extent processing power as well. So far, indications point to the rev not having much RAM, a problem if displacment mapping is to be used. Thus, one of the features of the rev (or more a Nintendo patent which sparked all these rumors) may simply be a way of optomising displacment mapping, allowing it to run without the large RAM usage. Infact, if one of the special features of the rev is displacment mapping, and the rev doesn't have much RAM as suspected, chances are thats exactly what the patent is.

However, as the other 2 consoles can already use proper displacment mapping simply through hardware power, this feature cannot possibly make rev games look any better then XBox360 or PS3 games, it may though allow games on the rev to be commparable to games on the other systems, which I think is all we want anyway, after all, with a completely new way to play, and full backward comp, who really cares that much about graphics? :D

if nintendo has a patent on displacement maping (according to the news) how can the other 2 parties use this technology?

if nintendo has a patent on displacement maping (according to the news) how can the other 2 parties use this technology?

Because Nintendo don't have a patent on displacment mapping, displacment mapping is a rather old technology, it's been around at least since the beggining of the development of the Unreal3.0 engine, whoever writes up these rumors seems to have no idea about any technology, and just seem to be out to get some sort of recognition.

The truth of the matter is, at most Nintendo have developed a way to make displacment mapping more efficient, and thus run it on a system with less power such as the revolution. Even so, the other consoles will also be using it, so it can't make the rev graphcis look any better then the other 2, all it can do is make the rev comparable.

This thread is super :) We have another thread like it. but this Explains it better and simpler :)

lol thanks for the compliment :)

Actually I believe that in real world experiance this might just be nintendos silver bullet.

*Pure Speculation from this point on*

Now massive development firms that make multi console games (EA, ubisoft, etc...) are trying to cut costs by generally developing games for the weakest console (ps2)

The rev seems to be shapping out to be the new weakest player

If this trend continues displacment mapping may become the prefered method of rendering games and if the rev is more efficient with it games could actually end up looking BETTER on the rev then on any other console. Reason for them looking better would be, assuming the level of efficiency on the rev is high enough to override the actual hardware difference, the level of detail on mapping could be simply increased for the rev, or rather decreased for the others, this would be only for multi console games however. If the effiency is not godly then it might just make up for or get close to making up for the hardware difference.

Given nintendos recent desire to get all games ported to their system I see this as distinct possibility. At least I see this setting the rev in a nice place to play level of standard for all multi console games in graphical detail.

Exclusives will, as always, optimise for any console so they will look great all around.

Interesting idea, but I'll correct you on one thing, displacment mapping isn't really a matter of "prefered method of rendering". It's hard really to explain cause I can't think of an example... I'll just say displacment mapping is kind of the next step up from bump mapping, displacment mapping requires more RAM and CPU speed, but creates proper 3D detail, rather then bump mapping which only creates an illusion of 3D. So for developers, it's more a matter of whether or not they need to use displacment mapping, or if they can get away with bump mapping, which doesn't need as much power.

As for developing for the weakest console, I sure hope your right! Generally the reason they do so is because if they make something which is optomised for the most powerful console, then the weaker consoles need dumbed down versions of it, which kind of wastes the developers mony in the first place as only 1/3rd of gamers will see the great graphics. If they build for the weaker, it saves money, and if they really need too, they can up the polygon count or whatnot for stronger machines. However, this requires that they see a reason to publish the game on the weaker console, if they don't forsee much profit by publishing on the weakest console in the first place, they'll make the game for the next console up. So yeah, if Nintendo manages to do a good job marketing the rev (which I think they will, already a heap of XBox/PS fans are planning on buying a rev as a secondary console), then the 3rd party publishers should fall in love with the system :D, if not however, bad things are going to happen :(

Indeed my wording on method of rendering was incorrect however I still believe they may just end up using displacment mapping as a standard and either make them all look the same (most likly) or make higher resolution maps for the rev and just lower the res on the maps for the others (less likly).

Sign in to follow this