NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
mcj metroid

Videogame-inspired music

I've started making some music thinking of videogame themes lately. This isn't like Ocremix.

Here's one I made thinking of perhaps a boss battle in a cathedral or something. Rather like Castlevania.

http://soundcloud.com/mikeyoconnell/boss-battle

I'd appreciate some ideas too if you got them. gimme me a game or something:)

Tapedeck made a thread like this AGGES ago but I can't find it.

Anyone else have anything like this?

Listening as I type, and am very impressed.

Definitely get that Castlevania vibe from it, though it could've very well be played during an epic end battle of a Mario RPG.

Especially love the part whith the little piano solo at about 1:45!

The music feels quite intense to me; as if you need to constantly be on the look-out for the boss's attack. Then, near the end, you get to pull a Toon Link on his head:laughing:

Right, I got an 'assigment' for you.....get me a theme of your own for this guy:

SSBB___Count_Bleck_by_WhiteWings.jpg

Edited by Fused King

Good job Mikey, sounds great...definitely brings to mind Castlevania, must be the organ :D Still, this feels more like a theme anticipating the final battle etc, not an actual boss fight...climbing the stairs to the tower, moon shining in the background...

So you made the tune to suit the idea of a boss battle? Nice, good way to broaden one's scope...I have plenty of different midi tunes in Guitar Pro as well, but most of them are just separate ideas or riffs...have only finished a few, two of which can listened to in here.

About an idea for you...how about "jungle"?

thanks for the kind comments and for listening :)

I appreciate the feedback. I'd love to do this stuff for a living to be honest so I need some honest criticism.. Don't be afraid to be completely harsh on me. Only way I'll learn :)

Right, I got an 'assigment' for you.....get me a theme of you own for this guy:

SSBB___Count_Bleck_by_WhiteWings.jpg

Hmm that's an interesting idea. OK I'm gonna pretend I never played that game and never heard of mario and you just handed me that image.

I'll try :)

Good job Mikey, sounds great...definitely brings to mind Castlevania, must be the organ :D Still, this feels more like a theme anticipating the final battle etc, not an actual boss fight...climbing the stairs to the tower, moon shining in the background...

So you made the tune to suit the idea of a boss battle? Nice, good way to broaden one's scope...I have plenty of different midi tunes in Guitar Pro as well, but most of them are just separate ideas or riffs...have only finished a few, two of which can listened to in here.

About an idea for you...how about "jungle"?

your pieces sound great man. I'd love to hear a band perform them.

Using guitar pro is some dedication. I'm not sure I would have the patience to enter data that slowely. I suppose with the keyboard you can export the midi information from it.

and jungle sounds like a great idea. I need a mood as well. I'll come up with something though. I get a feeling I won't be able to get the tunes from donkey kong country outta my head though haha

Edited by mcj metroid
Automerged Doublepost

You're not becoming lazy on this front, now are we, ......MCJ ?

oh shit you're on to me :D OK I may be slightly i'll get back to you on this totally. Await the thread ressurection!

Ah C'mon music creators.

This was going to be my special away-from-Wii-Boards thread in which I would invest time telling you what I (dis)like about your themes.

I absolutely adore Video Game Music, so please....give me something to listen:)

Hmm, this thread seems have died totally! Well, a little boost comes here! Wakey wakey @Fused King and @mcj metroid! Yes, it's my first video game composition! :D

Project Contra Rambo Ninja Gaiden: Title theme

It's a little gaming project I'm involved in. The game is supposed to be a macho shoot 'em game, so that's the kind of mood I conjured up for the title: energetic, rocking, awesome!

The previous one is all midi, but here I made the same song with real guitar and bass. Surprised how good the bass really sounds, awe to the friggin' some!

It's pretty weird making tunes based on a theme, setting or a mood...but also much fun! Gives you some borders to work with...also, I just realised that it makes perfect sense for me to craft original vg tunes. I mean I already listen to vg tunes and cover them myself, so all that is missing is making some completely new material! xD The influence is pretty big, i.e. you can hear it in my playing and riffing anyway...so why not take advantage of it?

Sign in to follow this