N-Europe

Ethernet Drillings

CooInTheZoo

Im going to *ATTEMPT* to drill up through the ceiling and feed an ethernet cable up there. But before i do is there anything i should know? Do i need to watch out for wires and plumbing, and how would i drill a hole big enough? Where can i get a nice long CHEAP ethernet cable?

Cheers guys, you rock :love:

hmm you would have to drill a bigish hole to fit the rj45 jack through, unless you make your own cable, crimp tool/rj45 plugs/network cable.

i have networked 3 pcs to my router, one went through the roof into the loft, through the loft (held to the wooden beams) and through into the spare room, its quite easy but you will need to check whats on the other side or look for mains sockets, doubt there will be plumbing in the wall, but it depends on the room (bathroom)

just look up on google about how to do it if your not sure

Make sure you keep the CAT5 (ethernet) cable away from any electrical cabling, as they interfere with each other. Depending on how tidy you want the job to be, you can buy CAT5 cable off a spool at whatever length, and then attach the cable at each end to wall plugs - this gets a bit tricky though and you'll need a punch down tool and you'll have to know what order to attach the cabling to the wall plug. Otherwise you can usually get upto about 30 metre long patch leads (cable with a RJ45 jack on each end).

Like cheets said, the hole only needs to be as big as it takes to get the jack through. Naturally you need to know where you are drilling as to not flood the house/electrocute yourself. Also if you have coaxial cabling in the roof that runs to a TV arial or cable TV box keep that well clear as the CAT5 will cause some minor interference with weaker channels.