NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Anyone got a good guide for opening and cleaning a wii lens?

My Wii is dicking me about with my NTSC brawl disc, I can't conclude whether it is the disc or the Wii, but I'm willing to try opening and cleaning the blasted thing, but I don't have a nice through guide on doing so. I have a guide that can get me inside to the bits, but not one for getting to the lens on the drive(the guide is a guide to install a modchip) and I was wondering if anybody out there has one, and preferably, has tried and succeeded in doing so by themself? I've got a triwing screwdriver which fits most ninty stuff, only thing I've found that it didn't was a micro, so I presume I'll be fine for that.

Well instead of dicking around with the console yourself, just send it off to Nintendo.

Or I'm guessing you can't do that because you've already dicked around with the console in a different way...

Well instead of dicking around with the console yourself, just send it off to Nintendo.

Or I'm guessing you can't do that because you've already dicked around with the console in a different way...

Yes, and I'm not keen to lose my wii for an unforeseen amount of time especially not with christmas coming up. I could easily uninstall the homebrew channel to later reinstall it(presuming they send back my very same wii) though similarly I'd have to uninstall BootMii and run risking the loss of that as a backup protection against bricks, which I'd rather not as I intend to keep running the HBC channel so that I may be enabled to play my NTSC Brawl. My other alternative is to fully equip my wii with the ability to pirate/play game backups, for the actual legitimate purpose of playing Brawl, but it's something I'm not keen to do as it's too close a gateway into actual piracy on my wii, really.

Also, for me to open it up and give it a clean myself is both fun and interesting, as well as the advantage of being free and done in good time.

Also, for me to open it up and give it a clean myself is both fun and interesting, as well as the advantage of being free and done in good time.

clarkson_hammer_138144a.jpg

This isn't going to end well.

Haha, how hard/bad can it be? Consolewise, I've taken apart two PS2s of different build, cleaned their lenses/raised them and fixed them, helped someone just clean theirs and fix it, taken apart a gamecube(layer by layer, things were built solid to not be taken apart!) and sprayed its case, taken apart a GBC and a GBA, and only really broken the GBA but that's cos I was negligent and left the screen lying around. I sort of broke the GC for a bit, but took it apart and put it together again and it worked. I took my DSPhat apart too! I have a bit of faith in myself after all that, otherwise I wouldn't be trying it! I also fixed my mate's GC that stopped reading discs, I'm not going into this unprepared or unaware of the risks.

Point in hand though, I didn't post this thread for scorn or doubt, just wondered has anybody here on the forums taken their wii apart and successfully put it together again in proper working order? The few guides I found regarding cleaning a wii lens seemed to suggest not doing anything to the drive and just bending/wiggling a rubbing alcohol soaked q-tip about! That sounds a bit dodgier than sensible to me, really. I was just hoping someone might have a guide for and/or experience in doing the deed. I'm not generally a hardware man, but I don't mind fiddling with it if I have a good guide and advice. I just want to be prepared for the drive when I get to it, really.

Sign in to follow this