N-Europe

BD Live

david.dakota

I'v had a really interestin conversation this lunchtime. Was peering at some bluray players- yet something else on my shoppin list- and had a discussion about BD Live. Now, i thought BD Live was a means to get extra content,but the sales assistant was advising this was a method to be upgradable like a PS3. It could be both, but just checking...

BD Live is online content and storage. So the player must have at least 1GB storage and has to be able to connect to the internet somehow. Yes Its for content. For upgrading the actual player firmware is still used.

BDLive is still early days though. We might see more advancements such as downloadable movie and music stores thought hey may require new players(aside from PS3 as it is reference).

so standard bluray players can be updated by firmware? I wasn't aware of this actually, thought only the PS3 was able to do this due to its harddrive.

No certain players can be upgraded only, but need to be Profile 2.0/Live already. I wouldnt buy a normal player hoping for upgrades. PS3 is the only player where upgrades are guaranteed(and work well).

If a BD player is Blu-Ray Live compatable then you can upgrade the firmware over the internet. I believe that's what you're asking? BD Live isn't anything to do with these updates, but having it means the player has the necessary hardware in place to do the update. BD Live itself is extra content, special features etc.

All this confusion is due to the fact Blu-ray was a half baked standard to start with

Hardly. It may seem that way but its due to making sure people dont have to change a format sooner. For example there are plans for larger disks in 2010.