N-Europe

HDTV Calibration.

Caris

Right this is a thread i have been meaning to make for a long time now.

What is calibration exactly? I hear a lot about it on home cinema forums and I'm starting to wonder if it's something i should be doing to my TV to get the best picture possible.

This is my TV.

KDL32V2500-TV.png

I calibrated my KDL40W4000, basically look up a review or a tuners guide. They usually tell you what the best settings are.

Factory settings on TV's are too bright and wash the colours out a hell of a lot. Propper settings will make things look darker, but will bring the colours and shades out properly thus giving you an over all far better picture.

Calibration is, as you say, a way to get the best possible picture out of your tv. The default settings usually use lots of post processing effects, that make the picture very vibrant and colourful, which makes the reaction speed during gaming longer. The reason why this is done is so that these tv's would stand out in the store. But these settings really won't be giving you the best picture. Colours are way off, the contrast is all messed up, ... If people look a little too pink for your liking, it's time to calibrate your tv.

You can buy a DVD to do this, or even hire a professional to get the best possible settings. These methods obviously cost money, but will probably get you the best result. I'd advise looking up the best settings for your specific model on HDTV forums such as AVS. You might get lucky and find your model there. Other people already did all the work, and you don't have to spend a penny.

I looked up my tv, but didn't find any settings for my specific model. I did find the settings for a tv in the same series as mine, and I presume the best settings would be similar. I used those, and made some personal adjustments to fit it to my liking. My picture looks great now.

If you do find the setting for your tv, I'd still advise playing around with the settings a bit, because in the end how good the picture looks also comes down to your personal opinion.

Hope this helps!