NEurope
Dante

Shigeru Miyamoto's Patent

A Teacher's Take on Nintendo's "Kind Code" (from Kotaku)

"Kind Code," even though it shows a solution, can still nurture a child who is comfortable with experimentation and making mistakes, Robertson says. "They can be shown where the hidden treasure chests are, and just how far apart the two ledges are before they jump," he writes, "but ultimately it’s up to them to put the character to the task, and experiment with what would happen if they chose not to follow the path laid out before them."

"Your child can say, 'Yeah, the hint system told me to jump from ledge A to ledge B, but I wondered what would happen if I did a Long Jump from ledge A to ledge C.'" he says.

Going further, "our students would also be demonstrating great strengths of comprehension." Kind Code's theoretical passive experience isn't the same as watching television. It's an active watching, in which they must watch, note and remember all the steps to complete a level. "[it] can be a very daunting task," Robertson says. "But, rewind the system, and let your child have a go at it, and you’ll be quite surprised at the success they’ll have in completing the objectives. This shows that the child comprehends (yes, at a lower level of cognition, more akin to “Application,†Bloom’s Taxonomy) what is being asked of them."

Finally, for those children who choose not to follow the path set before them, even after being shown then choices that will lead to goal completion, and instead experiment with alternative means: "Well, that takes the child’s thinking straight to “Evaluation,†which is the highest level of cognition we look for in our students’ reasoning and questioning skills."

http://kotaku.com/5128611/a-teachers-take-on-nintendos-kind-code

Havent posted in a while. But this is potentially a great idea. The more play options available to all types of gamers, the better. I will keep an eye on this.