NEurope
canand

Iwata: Wii 2 is "under development", Nintendo

What I expect from the Wii2 is that the Sensor Bar will be removed (the camera in the Wiimote 2 registers what's happening on the screen instead, perhaps by the TV emitting a few dots of invisible light beyond what the player expects to see). I think that the new Solid State Harddrive technology will get cheaper, and that Nintendo will lead the way by going back to cartridges. The upside? No loadingtimes, no piracy and saves on the cartridge (like downloadable content, savefiles, replays, login for playing online and so on). Wii2 will have HD, since Miyamoto said so in an interview a fair while ago.

The Wiimote will have rechargable batteries.

That no Sensor Bar thing isn't possible. This light gun idea only works with certain TVs, there'll be people with LCD/Plasma/OLED TVs then... The Sensor Bar will be expanded if anything, with built-in WiiSpeak and a Playstation Eye-like camera maybe.

I really hope Solid State drives will be cheap in 2012. I think the next Wii may actually come out without any disk drive or cartridge slot, but just with a massive (hopefully expandable) storage unit to store all games on them, which you'll just pluck off Nintendo's servers for money. Nintendo will need at least half a terabyte to store all that though, so if SSDs aren't cheap enough then, they'll have to go for a hard drive. An SSD is basically one huge cartridge, they'd virtually eliminate load times as well.

If the Wii2 does come with media, I think we'll see discs rather than cartridges. For one thing, discs will always be cheaper than memory, no matter how dirt cheap flash memory is going to be. Discs, especially a Nintendo propietary format, will be harder to pirate, too. I'd love to see cartridges return, but I don't think it's a good business decision.

I think if they went back to Cartridges everyone would just think Nintendo was going back to old technology without actually researching why the new cards are better than optical media.

I think if they went back to Cartridges everyone would just think Nintendo was going back to old technology without actually researching why the new cards are better than optical media.

I don't think that the casuals would think of it that way, since they have very little experience, and the older gamers would be happy, plus that by that time solid state will probably be all the craze, just like blurays are now, and CD-roms were in the early 90's.

Another upside with solid state cartridges is that you can nearly infinitely increase the size. So when the console comes out, only 4 gigs will be affordable, while at the end of the generation we might be talking about a terrabyte of storage space. Plus that the game will make memory cards and external save units obsolete, since the game itself contains enough memory to store all the files necessary, and then some.

I don't believe in downloading all games, since I, just like many others, don't want to give our account numbers to other people.

And if the invisible light thing isn't possible, the next controller might have a camera that just plain picks up everything happening on the screen. I don't want Nintendo to keep the sensor bar, and I think that the next gen Nintendo console should have a headset, rather than a community microphone.

I really think the Xbox 3 and PS4 will use a downloadable content model for their next consoles - it's a logical continuation of what they offer now. Using a DLC model avoids spending money on transport (all they have to do is run servers), and it allows more competitive pricing for smaller games. It also makes games upgradable (like FIFA 2012 -> 2013 could be an upgrade instead of new buy), and it allows for more games from smaller teams to be published. The services they provide could then also be expanded with downloadable videos and music. Also, using a hard drive and especially using a solid state drive would reduce load times.

On the other hand, loosing media for games is not going to be liked among retailers. It would probably make GAME and the likes obsolete. Also, publishers will lose their function. It'd be radical step for the industry, and it may come too soon.

About the cartridges - a blue laser propietary disc may cost as low as $1 per disc to be produced, whereas a cartridge would need that money for the plastic casing alone. Secondly, I think Emasher may be right on cartridges being seen as old technology by the ignorant audience. Nintendo would be best of to have some blue laser format with 100 GB capacity - the flash memory market is a pretty uncertain market to be in.

All this talk of downloadable games is nonsense. The Big Three are reliant on high street retailers stocking their consoles- consoles which make no profit for retailers. Its the added value of games and accessories, which is why high street stock console. Without the added value, high street won't bother.

Eventually, all games will be downloadable, thats just how the industry's going to progress.

The music industry is already far in the transition to downloadable content. The movie industry is starting to make that switch now. The games industry is also starting to make that switch.

All it will take is one of the 3 big companies to start offering Digital Downloads of the main games, and the others will offer it after that.

The stores adapt to Digital Downloads also. Music stores are starting to sell more Movies and Games and they also sell iTunes gift cards. Movie Rental stores know that they're going to be in trouble and are starting to carry more games.

The gaming stores will adapt. They will sell lots of credit for the online stores and also in the future will probably make more profit on consoles ect.

To offer games as downloads and to make them only available as downloads are two very different things. People want a box with a disc, rather than a code on a piece of paper so they'll be able to get their games back if the console dies (something that happens worryingly often on the 360). Look at the PC. You can download piles of games from there, and yet still, you can still buy the very same stuff in a store.

There are so many problems with that. Not to say it won't happen, I just don't see happening for at least another generation. Here's why:

1) Broadband expansion is still happening and many parts of Western civilization are still reluctant to get onboard. It is going to have to become cheaper and more accessible for DLC-only to kick in.

2) Emerging markets like Korea, China, India, Russia, and others are behind in technology, especially in regards to high-speed internet access. Having two business models (both hard casing and DLC) could work but if we're talking about really getting rid of the middle man and having DLC-only, these markets have to at least expand a bit more. Ignoring them is probable cause for failure down the road.

And if you don't believe me, look at what happened to Nintendo when they ignored Europe for the longest time. Sony came in and took it from them.

3) Selling the consoles themselves, one way is to do it via online or call-order similiar to companies like Dell and Apple. But that could also cause logistical problems which I may not be aware of and could be exclusive to any one of the companies involved.

There would have to be a lot addressed before it can become fesible. But it will get there, no doubt about it. Probably in another ten years as it transitions more and more into that kind of market.

^ Completely agree. DLC-only would be a huge problem.

Nintendo and the others may jump to the DLC option for full games in the next generation, but we'll still see game disks OR game cards on sale for many years.

DLC-only would be alienating a huge amount of customers. Some people don't even have internet.

I'm thinking:

1080p (Since by then alot more people will have HDTVs)

Composite, Component, and HDMI right out of the box.

S-Video, DVI, VGA available but sold separately.

SCART available separately in Europe and D-Terminal in Japan.

Both Accelerometer and multi axis gyroscope built in to both new Wii Remote and Nun-chuck.

Nun-chuck will still be wired.

Wii Remote Will have rechargeable batteries.

Updated classic controller with rumble, wireless, and rechargeable batteries in the box.

80 Gig Plus HDD.

4 USB 2.0 (or maybe 3.0 by then) ports.

Built in Wireless "N" and Gigabit ethernet.

More powerful than the PS3 but not the 720 and PS4.

Game Cube, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance, Maybe Saturn and Dreamcast Games added to Virtual Console.

Awesome Casual and Hardcore games at launch to get Wii owners to upgrade and to attract more people.

Better online system.

Proper Media Player.

Under $400.

Well, I'm glad to see that people aren't getting their hopes up too high. XD

There's nothing on that list that couldn't happen.

There's nothing on that list that couldn't happen.

Not at all. But be realistic. Otherwise it'll be E3 all over again.

To be honest, the only long shot on that list is GB games on Virtual Console. In five years, the hard drive would probably be much bigger and the price of all that would be $250 all over again.

Never really got why people want to play 160x144 pixel games, games meant to be portable, on their HDTV (which everyone will have by 2012).

I'm not saying everything will happen, but most of them are likely:

1080p Since by then alot more people will have HDTVs

Composite, Component, and HDMI right out of the box. Composite will be for sure, by then Component and HDMI are going to be included with most electronics designed to be hooked up to a TV

S-Video, DVI, VGA available but sold separately. There are official S-Video cables for Wii. With 1080p being almost for sure more people will hook them up to monitors

SCART available separately in Europe and D-Terminal in Japan. Wii already has this

Both Accelerometer and multi axis gyroscope built in to both new Wii Remote and Nun-chuck. Do you really think we'll have a Wii Motion Plus 2

Nun-chuck will still be wired. ...

Wii Remote Will have rechargeable batteries. With all the 3rd party alternatives, Nintendo will probably have something like this for Wii 2

Updated classic controller with rumble, wireless, and rechargeable batteries in the box. This one may be a little far fetched I'll admit

80 Gig Plus HDD. By then, 80 gig HDDs are going to be very cheap

4 USB 2.0 (or maybe 3.0 by then) ports. The Wii already has 2, alot of people are already buying hubs because they don't have enough.

Built in Wireless "N" and Gigabit ethernet. Wireless "N" cards are already about the same price as "G" cards, I think ethernet is likely with everyone complaining about the lack of it with Wii.

More powerful than the PS3 but not the 720 and PS4. Remember, this is still at least 3 years away

Game Cube, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance, Maybe Saturn and Dreamcast Games added to Virtual Console. If they fix the storage problem, this could be very possible

Awesome Casual and Hardcore games at launch to get Wii owners to upgrade and to attract more people. Wii Had this

Better online system. They know its a problem, I'm sure they'll look into it

Proper Media Player. The photo channel can be used as a makeshift media player, I think with Wii 2 we may get the full deal

Under $400. They're going to need it to be cheap to keep the casual audience.

To be honest, the only long shot on that list is GB games on Virtual Console. In five years, the hard drive would probably be much bigger and the price of all that would be $250 all over again.

Never really got why people want to play 160x144 pixel games, games meant to be portable, on their HDTV (which everyone will have by 2012).

True, the GB games will probably just be on the DS virtual console.

Wii 2 will probably be close to how we wanted the Wii to be.

And Emasher's list is not ambitious at all. 80 GB+ hard drive, 1080p, 1 GB+ downloadable games, better online system, HDMI... There's a three year old console called Xbox 360 that supports these features already....

Wii 2 will probably be close to how we wanted the Wii to be.

And Emasher's list is not ambitious at all. 80 GB+ hard drive, 1080p, 1 GB+ downloadable games, better online system, HDMI... There's a three year old console called Xbox 360 that supports these features already....

But this isn't Microsoft, it's Nintendo, and their focus is entirely different. They don't focus much on hard drives, horsepower, graphics etc. but instead rely on the gameplay. It's in keeping with their strategy of minimizing the price to cater to the casual audience.

They don't focus much on hard drives, horsepower, graphics etc.

aka 'Things People Want'

aka 'Things People Want'

A.k.a. things SOME people want. If you want those things so desperately, go buy a 360 or PS3.

But by then, there will be a higher standard for consoles. Its not like Nintendo just re-releases the same console every 5 years and makes good games for it. Each console improves. If thats what a powerhouse console got 3 years ago. Why can't Nintendo do it in another 4 years or so for cheap.

Look at the evolution from the GCN to the Wii.

Enhanced Definition as standard

More video output options

The whole controller thing

Built in flash memory

USB 2.0 ports

Built in wireless "G"

More powerful than the original xbox but not the PS3 and 360

Virtual console rather than the occasional port included with a new game.

more awesome games

proper online system

makeshift media player and web browser.

only $279 (cnd)

Everything on my Wii 2 list was upgraded between the Wii and GCN.

By the way, I'm not saying that more power and features make a better console, I'm just pointing out things that are the logical next step for the next generation.

But by then, there will be a higher standard for consoles. Its not like Nintendo just re-releases the same console every 5 years and makes good games for it. Each console improves. If thats what a powerhouse console got 3 years ago. Why can't Nintendo do it in another 4 years or so for cheap.

Look at the evolution from the GCN to the Wii.

Enhanced Definition as standard

More video output options

The whole controller thing

Built in flash memory

USB 2.0 ports

Built in wireless "G"

More powerful than the original xbox but not the PS3 and 360

Virtual console rather than the occasional port included with a new game.

more awesome games

proper online system

makeshift media player and web browser.

only $279 (cnd)

Everything on my Wii 2 list was upgraded between the Wii and GCN.

By the way, I'm not saying that more power and features make a better console, I'm just pointing out things that are the logical next step for the next generation.

Hm, didn't think about it that way. I guess you're right.

But this isn't Microsoft, it's Nintendo, and their focus is entirely different. They don't focus much on hard drives, horsepower, graphics etc. but instead rely on the gameplay. It's in keeping with their strategy of minimizing the price to cater to the casual audience.

Nintendo won't go all high-end with the graphics, they'll do what'll be reasonable by next generation. I think from now on is to make their new consoles be the most powerful format of LAST generation. In other words, the Wii 2 will push better graphics than PS3, but not be close to PS4. Technology evolves, and by next gen the price difference between GC and PS3 technology will be so little that there really wouldn't be any point in bringing out a console with Wii-level graphics. If you look at computer parts, you cannot find what I was looking for for a car-computer I wanted to throw together:

32MB RAM

500 Mhz

Some weak ass 3D-card

5GB harddrive

Why? Because they wouldn't be that much cheaper to make than the weaker modern stuff, and because I'm one of the few people on the planet whom want something like that.

The Wii 2 will be more powerful than the PS3, and that probably won't make it much more expensive than the Wii. Maybe even cheaper since the motion sensing technology will be possible to manifacture in more cost-efficient ways.

Nintendo won't go all high-end with the graphics, they'll do what'll be reasonable by next generation. I think from now on is to make their new consoles be the most powerful format of LAST generation. In other words, the Wii 2 will push better graphics than PS3, but not be close to PS4. Technology evolves, and by next gen the price difference between GC and PS3 technology will be so little that there really wouldn't be any point in bringing out a console with Wii-level graphics. If you look at computer parts, you cannot find what I was looking for for a car-computer I wanted to throw together:

32MB RAM

500 Mhz

Some weak ass 3D-card

5GB harddrive

Why? Because they wouldn't be that much cheaper to make than the weaker modern stuff, and because I'm one of the few people on the planet whom want something like that.

The Wii 2 will be more powerful than the PS3, and that probably won't make it much more expensive than the Wii. Maybe even cheaper since the motion sensing technology will be possible to manifacture in more cost-efficient ways.

Yeah, I think Emasher was trying to explain the same thing. I admit that's a new perspective on the subject for me. I'm suddenly a lot more positive about it. :)

I would imagine $300 at the most. Making it too expensive would alienate the casual crowd a bit.