NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Tellyn

The Definition of a Core Gamer

A core gamer is somebody who likes to bitch and moan that there aren't enough "core" games and likes to pretend they know shit loads about the technical aspect of games and think they are better than every other gamer and have a huge e-penis.

"Hardcore", "core", and "casual" are terms that originated to distinguish games such as Zelda, Mario, and Metroid from games like Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit. The problem is, there exist no specific definitons, only different people's interpretations. It's obvious there's a difference in content and audience of these games, but it's hard to define what exactly determines those things. This debate is both evidence and a direct result of that: The need for a definiton of the difference between "core" and "casual" has grown since Nintendo took the first step down their new direction and culminated in this year's E3. The problem is, at this point, there exists so many interpretations of the terms that finding a true definiton seems almost impossible.

Hardcore = me

Casual = rest of you guys.... lol :p

I mean what is the point of this discussion?? Why does anyone need to know what a core and what a casual gamer is?? It doesn't matter if you're core or casual, it's about the fact you enjoy playing certain games. If you like playing Wii Sports... so fucking what it's casual, I like it and that should be enough...

I guess for the people who want to know, it's like: "Oh no, Wii Sports isn't Hardcore... but I'm supposed to be a core player, never gonna play Wii Sports again, too casual!!"

It's freaking ridiculous !!!

Bottom line is. We all know the difference, though it is undefinable. We should just play the games we like and not be afraid to try out new things even if the concept doesn't quite appeal to us. If your unsure, you can always rent the game first or something.

I mean what is the point of this discussion?? Why does anyone need to know what a core and what a casual gamer is??

Because if we had decided on a definition then we would have to trawl the fifteen pages of "oh noes Nintendo has deserted the core gamer!!!!11!"

Sign in to follow this