NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

XP won't see my invisible network?

I know I know, it sounds contradicting but my XP laptop should have the equivalent of good glasses!

Basically, because I've set my network to WEP, I decided at the same time to turn off the SSID broadcast, however, it's seems to be causing some problems for one of the laptops we have that is running XP. I'm fairly sure a long time ago in the past it had no issues with networks that had the SSID turned off, but now it seems to. I've set up everything fine on it, SSID, Key, set to automatically connect, highest priority etc, but it constantly cannot find the network. I've tried repairing the connection too, and still to no avail.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before, or know any ideas of what could be causing it, or is it simply an XP thing(i dont have any other XP wirelesses)? I wanted to try and avoid turning on my SSID broadcast, cos I'm weird like that, and I'm curious why it won't work anyway.

No idea why it's not working but uhh you could just turn SSID broadcasting on?

I used to turn it off until I realised that if someone had taken the time to find out how to crack my WEP key, they could probably get round the lack of SSID and so it was just a pain in the arse for me to have the SSID broadcasting turned off.

No idea why it's not working but uhh you could just turn SSID broadcasting on?

I used to turn it off until I realised that if someone had taken the time to find out how to crack my WEP key, they could probably get round the lack of SSID and so it was just a pain in the arse for me to have the SSID broadcasting turned off.

Set it up so the router will only make a connection with machine addresses you have allowed it to connect with. It makes it alot more secure.

Sign in to follow this