NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ssj

Student loan help

It depends on where you're working. I can say where I worked in the summer was definitely an experience to be remembered. You meet so many people, then so many leave and new ones join almost daily. Met some right characters, haha.

I don't see your point. Did you even read my previous post? I'm currently on a placement, where I'm up at half 5, and not back in my house til around half 5, again. And unlike the beauty of other courses, our placement isn't paid. We have to pay for our own travel expenses, which do get reimbursed at the end of the year, but that doesn't help you a lot during the placement, since you kinda need the money in the first place. Getting it a few months down the line isn't gonna help so much. And don't let me start on the planning side of things, which eat into your social life outside of the workplace. ;)

I worked 40 hours a week standard in the summer, in a call-centre, and loved every second of it. Then, I worked Saturdays, which were optional, and did every bit of over-time that I could. So, we're talking another good bunch of hours there. As soon as work was over, I'd go out and get drunk with my mates, and go back into work again the next morning.

Then, as soon as uni started up, before my placement began, I was working a maximum of 32 hour weeks, alongside working on modules and assignments and so forth.

Again, I loved every second of it. So, please don't patronise me and talk about me not knowing about the real world.

You said work loads 40 hours or so. The point i was making was 40 hours is not a lot.

You said work loads 40 hours or so. The point i was making was 40 hours is not a lot.

Yeah, 40 or so hours a week, with weekend work if you want it, and you'll be getting by just fine. It's a summer job. If you had to support a family or something, then you probably would be doing something different, but it's a little stop-gap to give you money before you go back to uni. Out of interest, how many hours do you work and doing what? 40+ hours a week in a call centre, which is very repetitive work is more than enough to stop you going mental.

I work as many hours as are needed. Paid 24 hours a day every day of the year.

Im in the navy but in a shore draft preping to go to afghan. So all depends what the regiment is doing that week. One week could be in the field living in mud pretending to shoot each other. The next could be sat in a workshop fixing equipment. All depends really.

Or back in my proper job you do an 8 hour day plus a 4 hour watch at night time when at sea.

If were on ex you can easily go days with only a couple of hours sleep.

I work as many hours as are needed. Paid 24 hours a day every day of the year.

Im in the navy but in a shore draft preping to go to afghan. So all depends what the regiment is doing that week. One week could be in the field living in mud pretending to shoot each other. The next could be sat in a workshop fixing equipment. All depends really.

Or back in my proper job you do an 8 hour day plus a 4 hour watch at night time when at sea.

If were on ex you can easily go days with only a couple of hours sleep.

Right, now there's a huge difference there. That is your actual job. My actual job in the long-run will be a teacher, and that's a job that doesn't finish, as you have to take your work home with you, planning lessons. If you spend half 8 til 3 actually teaching, you spent another good load of hours planning and assessing anyway.

In that respect, a 40+ hour week summer job to pay off some debts and earn some money, and having a lot of fun on the side, is alright for me. If it were my actual job or something I wanted to do in the longrun, then it would be different.

I think miss understood me. You said work shed loads and i thaught u really thaught 40 hours was a lot. when it really isnt.

And funny enough being in the forces isnt a job that just ends either and you dont get 6 weeks holiday every summer either lol :P

I think miss understood me. You said work shed loads and i thaught u really thaught 40 hours was a lot. when it really isnt.

And funny enough being in the forces isnt a job that just ends either and you dont get 6 weeks holiday every summer either lol :P

40 hours for a summer job or side job, to me, is different to 40 hours as you're main job, or what you actually want to do.

Yeah, it's probably a lot to do in the summer for a student, given that most will probably want to relax and not work during that time anyway. We go home, we see our friends and folks. 40 is still, what, 8 hours a day, and plus you still want to go out and do stuff because that is your summer break.

Why not just get a job. (shock) the big fucking M are always looking for people.

I have a job.

Sign in to follow this