NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
McPhee

Urgent help needed

I was just chatting on MSN with someone, she had to go and closed her webcam. As soon as this happened the computer BSODs, restarts and im greeted with a message telling me to activate Windows. I try to activate and the OS crashes!

All i can do is access "reduced functionality mode" which just gives me access to the web.

Now i have 2 questions:

1. Can i fix this?

2. If not, how the hell do i get data off the C drive before i re-install?

Sadly my default browser is Firefox, which although nice for web browsing is completely shit in this instance because i can't put Explorer commands in :(

I don't have an external drive, and even if i did the ONLY program i can use is Firefox. If i could access Explorer i'd throw everything on to the 2nd partition, but i can't :(

EDIT: i can upload photos to Photobucket. Does anyone know any good hosting sites that let you back up you're computer to them?

Hmm, i'm not sure what to suggest. Sounds like you will have to format and loose everything if you can only access Firefox and even then Windows might not re-instal if it's a hardware issue...

Edit: Was Windows activated when this happened? If it wasn't try activating over the phone.

Yes, activate over the phone, it's all automated and will probably work. If it doesn't you can speak to someone and they'll fix it for you, they're very generous about it.

Hmm, i'm not sure what to suggest. Sounds like you will have to format and loose everything if you can only access Firefox and even then Windows might not re-instal if it's a hardware issue...

Edit: Was Windows activated when this happened? If it wasn't try activating over the phone.

Yup, it was activated before, and now it thinks it isn't. That ain't the only problem though, to me it looks like some of the operating system files have been corrupted, when i try manually activating i get a BSOD. AFAIK the same will happen when i do it over the phone, i still have to "activate" from this end, and when i do i'll BSOD.

I'll give them a phone in a while if i can't get my stuff backed up, because i cannot afford to lose all my data :(

Well, after spending a day on and off the phone to tech support the conclusion is that no, i can't fix it and yes, i will have to do a reinstall, losing all my files in the process.

Im hugging on to one last glimmer of hope now, i've ordered another Hard Drive and im going to install Windows on that. Then hopefully i can access this one and move all my photos and music before wiping it. I can't see why it won't work, and tech support did say it was worth a shot, so i may as well try :hmm:

Sign in to follow this