NEurope
antster1983

Starcraft: Ghost Canned

It was announced a few days ago on Blizzard's forums that the GameCube version of StarCraft: Ghost has been canned.

MicahW on the battle.net forums explains:

Unfortunately the GameCube version of the game was decided to be dropped. In order to provide the game envisioned by the console team a set and readily available online solution was needed. Unfortunately the GameCube has no online service and since so much work is going in to the online portion, it would be additional work to release only part of the intended game. Nintendo systems certainly aren't something that we are against supporting. Blizzard in its entirety is based upon earlier games for Nintendo systems. The GameCube and Revolution will still be cosidered for future products, unfortunately Ghost will only be made available on the Xbox and PS2 at this time.

He then went on to explain why they didn't think of using the GameCube Broadband Adaptors:

I believe the GameCube network adapters were discontinued within the US. That would mean it would be necessary for us to include an adapter with each copy sold. While a great deal of focus is being put in to the online multiplayer, it's not enough to warrant the extra cost of a copy of the game for consumers if it had to include the network adapter.

In any case there are many reasons why the GameCube version was cut, but it all boils down to being able to provide the best game experience possible to our fans.

So, a sad day for fans who bought a GameCube solely for Starcraft: Ghost. I do feel bad for you :sad:

On the other hand, I have an Xbox and Xbox Live, so I'm happy! :p

It's a shame it won't come out on the cube, but i have a xbox so it's not to bad.

im fed up waiting for the game anyway. i went to a conference for C-E about this game about a year and half ago done a report and preview on it etc...

still waiting for release....

I said it before and I'll say it again...

I'd thought I'd be bothered a while ago if this was the case, but it's been delayed so many times I don't really care about it anymore. I might possibly be checking it out on xbox, if it doesn't bleed into next gen, but maybe not.

Shame to see the Cube lose another game, but I don't see it as a huge loss as its not being developed by Blizzard anyway and might turn out crap.

I would have bought this game for the Gamecube. Maybe I'll get an Xbox version some day... Maybe. Now, why couldn't they just make the online play available for those people who do own a broadband adapter? I believe they just thought making a Cube version wouldn't give them any profit.