NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

Is my system underperforming?

As I posted recently, I had an issue with screen tearing. However, that's been fixed (by forcing v-sync on with triple buffering.) However, I'm finding performance is games somewhat lacking.

I get a lot of random stuttering in TF2, and Bioshock. Sometimes the fps goes down to 29, and sometimes it stays in the high 30's-low 40's. My specs are;

- Gigabyte GA_945P_DS3

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.13GHz (1066FSB)

- BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 640MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI

- GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2

- Corsair HX 520W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU

but surely with a rig like this I shouldn't be getting problems? Although my hard drive is only an ATA, not an SATA, although that wouldn't be a huge issue, would it?

The temperatures seem normal to me; 45-50c for both cpu cores, 60ish for my graphics card, and all other temps around the 40's, 50's, apart from my hard drive and mobo (which are both around 30c.)

I normally don't run any programs when gaming (besides my anti virus software, Avria Antivir), and my screen resolution is 1680x1050. I appear to have all the latest drivers, although after downloading and installing a program called Driver Magician, it says that I need this highlighted one;

driver.jpg

Would installing that help? I also spent all of last night defragging my hard drive, and whilst running Windows is smoother, a quick play of TF2 showed that my performance was a lot worse (rarely getting 59-60fps, and mainly going 29-45fps.)

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix this? If so, then what would you recommend? Thanks if anyone can help...

EDIT: I just tried Bioshock, and it actually runs a bit better, but still a bit low on fps (doen't go below 30 though, which I'm pleased about.) Strange... Maybe I'll delete all the TF2 files and re-download them. I haven't got time to do it today though. I'll let you know how I get on!

What other stats are you running the games on, anti aliasing etc?

Using the latest graphics card drivers? Check on guru3d.com.

Although my hard drive is only an ATA, not an SATA, although that wouldn't be a huge issue, would it?

Yes. IDE is very, very slow. That will be you're system's bottleneck, it might not be the only cause but it's certainly a contributing factor

The reason my PC is slightly slow at times is because i have DDR533, the slowest type of DDR2 ram you can get.

< Stupid.

I was using 8x AF and 8X AA, although I've toned those down a lot, but still not much of an increase. Also, I might get a SATA hard drive soon. What would you recommend? How much of a performance increase would I get?

I'm also about to do an anti spyware and anti virus scan. I'll let you know how I get on!

EDIT: Did the scans, and it did find some spyware, so I got rid of it. Didn't have any virus warnings though. TF2 seems to run a bit better too now, at around 45-60fps. Which is stable enough, for now. Although I'm still interested in getting a SATA hdd at some point...

Sign in to follow this