NEurope

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marshmellow

External HDD not being detected in Vista...

Well I finally got home from my super long vacation and I plugged in my external hard drive in to my computer so I could copy files over and such.

Well when I did it, it detected it in "My Computer" but I a thing came up and asked if I wanted to search for software for it. I just exited it out, since I didn't need software on the XP computer I used on vacation and it already had detected it anyways.

So after I exited that out, another window popped up asking some things, I chose "Don't ask about this device again" or something like that. Well after I did that the external HDD dissappeared from "My Computer"... I tried unplugging and replugging it in. No luck.

I tried a USB port on the back of my computer (The original one was a hub), and a little thing popped up saying "This device performs better if connected to a faster USB port" or something similar. Which is weird since all my ports are 2.0. And even after that message it still didn't appear in "My Computer"...

The ports aren't faulty I've tried keyboards, mice, and flash disks and they all worked. So I tried restarting (Many times.) and one time I went to the BIOS, and oddly enough it detects in the BIOS!

I've tried to "Add Hardware" in the Control Panel, I just can't find any way for it to show up. So if anybody knows how to fix this that would be great.

Thanks!

OH, and my PS3, Xbox 360, and a laptop running XP all detected it after I tried it with Vista.