NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Wesley

Screen resolution in XP

Hey guys, I have a side screen monitor that has 1440x900 pixels but I want to have a screen resolution of 1024x768 so it kind of just cuts out the black parts on the sides. I'd normally adjust the screen on the settings on the monitor but it's a shit-assed Mac so I guess that didn't look good or whatever..

Any of you guys know how to do it?

I wanna know so I can run FFVII without widescreen.

The video card settings on my old laptop had a "Don't stretch the screen" option. Which meant that Windows ran in widescreen, and non-widescreen games had black bars on the sides.

Don't know if thats helpful or not.

Well, here are some questions.

Are you running FF7 through emulation from the original PSX discs?

Are you using the PC version of ff7?

Are you using bootcamp or windows virtualization on the mac to run in a windows environment?

-If you want to play FF7 on PC/Mac/Linux, the best way to go is through emulation, regardless. When you get it working, it looks and sounds better than the FF7 PC release, and it is windowed already so you specify the resolution of the emulation. The act of emulation on the PSX Discs is not illegal, thought ripping them as an ISO and mounting the FF7 PSX discs as a game file speeds things up significantly.

Alternatively, if you are convinced that FF7 PC is the route for you, its using DirectX, so I recommend searching out "dxwnd" which enables you to force "full screen" DX games to run in window mode.

I have the original PC version... do you think emulation would be best then? And yes I'm using Boot Camp... emulation the option then?

If I do emulate could just emulate on my Mac using a Mac PSX emulator? Or is the best on PC? And NukeBlaze you are the PC help God; I remember you from NNow.

Hey guys, I have a side screen monitor that has 1440x900 pixels but I want to have a screen resolution of 1024x768 so it kind of just cuts out the black parts on the sides.

Does the monitor support 1:1 pixel mapping for starters? I'm guessing not, so that'll be why it'll stretch to full screen.

I thought it's possible to run FFVII in windowed mode though?

I'm not sure about the pixel mapping...

And I've just looked now about running it windowed but it doesn't let you... however, it does run in "quarter screen" in a small box in the middle of the screen; with everything else blacked out. And because of that it hasn't been stretched and the movies run at full speed. So this is actually pretty Damn good. Unless NukeBlaze manages to convince me to emulate I'll be doing this... Cheers there Colin! :)

Not played it in a good while on the PC, but I'm pleased what I said kind of helped you. Enjoy the game if you've never played it before. :smile:

And NukeBlaze you are the PC help God; I remember you from NNow.

Gaaah...Don't give me that much credit. I just do what I can.

And I've just looked now about running it windowed but it doesn't let you... however, it does run in "quarter screen" in a small box in the middle of the screen; with everything else blacked out. And because of that it hasn't been stretched and the movies run at full speed. So this is actually pretty Damn good. Unless NukeBlaze manages to convince me to emulate I'll be doing this... Cheers there Colin!

If it works, run with it. I run my FF7 PSX ISOs from ePSXe through emulation, and the graphics are much nicer and you don't have to deal with midi sound from the PC version. Its up to you what you want to pursue. You found one solution that satisfied you, but there are others solutions with better results out there as well.

Well I'm going to try and see if there is a decent PSX emulator for the Mac 'cause then I don't have to use Boot Camp... and of course find the ISOs and what not. But yeah the PC version is working pretty well; but I accidentally pressed the Windows key and it went to the desktop and stopped responding... so that makes me wanna find the emulator...

Anyway, cheers guys you've both helped loads! And you too Cubey cheers for your help. :yay:

Would running the best Windows emulator in Parallels be okay? Or would it lose some of its... good... ness. lol.

Sign in to follow this