N-Europe

Setting up a Network...

Rummy

So, we've had a router for like 2 years now, and I remember attempting and failing to setup a network so that we could share files between the computers and stuff, and with my new laptop on the way, I'm considering giving it another go.

So, does anyone have a good easy to follow guide on setting up a network between one computer on Windows 98, two computers on XP and another one on Vista with just a router so that files and printers can be shared between them all?

Just bolded what I thinks important there. Of course, if it's too complicated, I can leave out the 98 computer(it's my brother's, and I'm pretty sure it's on 98), though I was hoping to include that one cos it's got a printer on it. The XP computer is this one, the other is my sister's laptop and connects wirelessly, and the other will be my own laptop on vista and connecting wirelessly.

Also any information about security issues I should be aware of too would be rather helpful, I'd rather have no network rather than a highly unsecure one.

Guest Jordan

I'm not even sure if you can use a router for that. My personal method uses dual ethernet into a server (one going to an internet connection and the other a network) then routing the server through a network switch to the rest of the computers and a wifi card in the server going to wireless.

Yeah, its complicated. But like i said, i don't think a router will work.

Yes if the router has a switch functionality also. And all the router's I've dealt with have had that. Set them all to the same workgroup, (right click my computer, properties, computer name, change, and enter the workgroup's name on every computer. The win98 will have this information on control panel -> network I think)

Now does the router have NAT and DHCP? If it has then it's pretty straightforward, you need to setup the software firewall on each machine to allow windows file and printer sharing. Then check the network places and everything that is shared should be there. I'm not giving any guarantees on getting the win98 to work, usually it works or doesn't work.

I see, I thought it was possible with just a router, though I'm not sure what gave me that impression.

Yes if the router has a switch functionality also. And all the router's I've dealt with have had that. Set them all to the same workgroup, (right click my computer, properties, computer name, change, and enter the workgroup's name on every computer. The win98 will have this information on control panel -> network I think)

Now does the router have NAT and DHCP? If it has then it's pretty straightforward, you need to setup the software firewall on each machine to allow windows file and printer sharing. Then check the network places and everything that is shared should be there. I'm not giving any guarantees on getting the win98 to work, usually it works or doesn't work.

I don't know if it has NAT, it's a D-Link DI-524, but I know that it has DHCP. Would you be able to elaborate on how I go about finding out if it does, and then setting the firewalls to allow windows file and printer sharing(like where it'd be, a setting in the firewall's configuration?)?

EDIT:I think it does have NAT, after a bit of fishing on dlink's site.

Check the pc's ip addresses, (start, run, cmd, ipconfig -all) if they begin with 192.168. your network should be safe. You could check if the current setup is secure: http://www.grc.com/default.htm scroll down a bit to "hot spots" and click on shields up! and click proceed. Then test common ports and file sharing. And test them again after you got the sharing working :)

Some software firewalls have a specific option for enabling windows file sharing, and I think there should be some documentation on the web about which ports to open. First check the firewall maker's website if they have specific instructions on how to enable sharing.

Hmm, ok thanks, I'll have a look around for more info about it, checked some of my security so far, and it's apparently rather good! We'll see if it changes if I manage to sort out sharing everything.