Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Help needed! GC sound crackling.

Shorty

Hey everyone, I'd appreciate any help anyone can hurl my way regarding this matter.

When I moved here for my gap year, I got my hands on an NTSC Gamecube and a few American games. Problem is when I play them, I get some really bad sound issues.

The sound issues are strangely unspecific. For example in Resi 0, all sound makes loud crackles, but in X-Men Legends, during an FMV, any music, explosive sound effects or voices make really loud crackling, yet in-game sfx and voices have no problems.

I've checked the red and white sockets, cleaned them, tried routing them through the dvd player and vcr instead of straight to the TV, no change. The ports and wires don't seem to be the problem because the DVD player alone has no issues, and I've tried with my PAL scart cable too, with the same crackling.

This infernal snap, crackle and/or pop makes all the games less enjoyable, as I'm not too fond of gaming in mute.

I've googled a bit, to no real result, any suggestions from anyone here?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Guest Offerman

It sounds like the game sounds are over-deviated, and thusly over-loading the amp in the TV. I have seen this before, but I never managed to fix it. But it occured when I was doing something untoward, so I just stopped doing it.

Can you alter the volumes of things in the game settings? Like some games allow you to tweak the different volumes, like BGM, Sound FX, or FMV volume...?

If you can, try turning them down, and see what happens.

Is it not possible that your TV speakers are busted

Possible, but the TV is fairly new, and there are no issues with regular tv channels or DVDs. I'm going to try simply adjusting the game volume like Offers suggested (thanks :)) as soon as I get a chance, although I can't see that explaining why in one game movies crackle whilst in-game sounds do not....

Guest Offerman
Possible, but the TV is fairly new, and there are no issues with regular tv channels or DVDs. I'm going to try simply adjusting the game volume like Offers suggested (thanks :)) as soon as I get a chance, although I can't see that explaining why in one game movies crackle whilst in-game sounds do not....

Usally FMVs are a louder volume, because they usally use a different codec.

Another thing it could be, which you just prompted me too, is on alot of games FMV's are in full Dolby ProLogic, albeit, quarzo Dolby, which is mocked up 5.1, or 2.1, or some stupid system thats meant to be 3D sound. Your cube might be having problems, as your only using a simple TV, the TV might be trying to convert the hidden surround sound channels as well. Is there a settings options on your cube to alter the sound output?