N-Europe

Need help (Web Design)

The Lillster

Hello,

I have been developing websites for a couple of years now, and i've become quite good at it. However, I do not have any coding experiance like php, asp, asp.net,SQL,etc... Also, I only have minimum experiance in Flash (I am putting more effort into learning this now).

I can make basic asp scripts using Dreamweaver, but thats about it.

Anyway, the reason why I posted this topic, is because I was wandering how much experiance would I need to get a job in web design, and how I can get it?

Also I how would I get experiance in e-commerce?

Overall, how many years of experiance should I have in webdesign?

When showing off an example of a website i've made, what do they look for in terms of design and presentation? I mean would it need to be graphics heavy, or could I get a way with something that looks simple, but stylish?

Thank You. :)

I don't think it can really be pinned down to "years" of experience. If you made fifty websites in a year, or five - it depends on how good they are. Do you have any examples to share with us?

I definitely think, to make it in "the industry", you need to learn SQL and PHP. They're excellent for making very dynamic websites. I don't know much about .asp but from what I hear, it's an outdated, annoying code that other codes can do the functions of much better.

The things I would suggest are:

* make a portfolio

* share your designs on an art site for critique, like http://www.deviantart.com

* try selling basic templates online for $10-30 to get recognition

* contact people in your local area who you think could benefit from a website

* check local ads for webdesign offices looking for someone to work with them (it would help with experience even if you wanted to go independent)

As for showing off what you've made, it always depends on site content. For example, I would say a simple retail company wants an extra-simple, professional looking website that customers can browse very easily. When an artist wants to show off their work, they want something more unique and graphics heavy.

Also, what do you usually code in? You say you've been doing it for a couple of years - I guess you have experience with html/xhtml and css? Do you do the graphics side too? It's always good to branch out, and make sure you're up to date. Try to keep codes tidy, verify them for strictness at w3.org - and check out what the latest trends are by following webdesign sites (for example when the table became obsolete and people went div crazy)

Oh and one more thing, I guess sometimes it's worth seeing if anyone else is interested in the same thing as you. If I had more time, I know I could make good websites with one of my friends who's a great coder, whilst my strength is photoshop.

Anyways hope some of these ideas help.