N-Europe

So whats SACD All About?

Schizoid Man

Hi audiophiles, I've just acquired my brother's room now he's gone to uni, which means an awesome Sony amplifier, Sub-woofer, two front, two back and center speakers!! Yay! Anyway, it sounds brilliant with DVDs obviously, and I run my CDs through it to nice effect, but I do recall, several years ago, being introduced to the wonders of the 30th anniversary Pink Floyd Dark Side Of the Moon SACD hybrid through an SACD set-up at my Dad's old friends' house. Now, bear, with me, I don't have this CD, and my DVD player is a cheapass Compacks tv/dvd combi, and I wouldn't mind getting an SACD player cheaply, but a quick search on Amazon reveals two DVD/SACD players that are no longer for sale through the website. Is the system obsolete? I would love to get it started, but is it pointless; are there not enough SACDs out there, or is it too expensive? :wtf: Would appreciate some help there!

PS, While I'm on the subject of um, music, what would you guys personally go for out of the iRiver 20gb H10, iAudio 20gb something or other or the Toshiba Gigabeat 20gb, bearing in mind that mic recording is essential, colour screen/photos a nice bonus, and sound quality important.

Thanks!

You should get a player that also can handle DVD-A (the rival format to SACD)

This one plays DVD, DVD-A, SACD and divx files:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/99789/art/samsung/dvd_hd950_dvd_divx_sacd_p.html?srcid=36

In terms of finding SACDs to buy, you may actually own some already. The entire catelogue of R.E.M, Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan are dual layer CD/SACD.

For mp3 players are would recomend the iaudio its generally regarded as having the best sound quality of the players you mentioned.