NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
McPhee

I messed up bad! Linux Problem

Anyone got any ideas on how to remove the GRUB bootloader without a WinXP disk? I deleted Linux and got left with a bootloader that cant see Windows so until i can swap GRUB for the XP bootloader i have no computer :nono:

Google searches just come up with 'insert you're XP disk, the hit R and type FDisk' or some rubbish like that but i dont have a proper XP disk (just an ACER one that doesnt include that function)

I've done this before and you can get rid of it using some command. Use a Win 98 floppy boot disk (weird I know) and type

fdisk /mbr

at the prompt. Then reboot.

Yes that's actually a better idea. I didn't remember that floppies still exists as I have not had a floppy drive in my pc for 4 years.

I've done this before and you can get rid of it using some command. Use a Win 98 floppy boot disk (weird I know) and type

fdisk /mbr

at the prompt. Then reboot.

no floppy drive, cheers for the idea though :)

Really messed things up after i wrote this last night. Formatted all my drives and now my Acer 'Restore' disk wont do anything, just says 'not enough space on the drive' everytime i put it in!

Given up trying to get Windows to reinstall now, put Linux back on :laughing:

Just got to figure out how to get my wireless card to work and im sorted. Dont use the computer for much more than web browsing these days anyway so Sabayon will do me until i can afford a new copy of Windows

Sign in to follow this