NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
shade

Wii wireless connection problems

Has anyone had problems connecting wii to the internet?

I got a Netgear DG834G v2 802.11g wireless ADSL router, DS and xbox 360 loves it setup was painless, so I thought as DS likes it wii would, It does not even reconise it. This is strange I though Nintendo used the same wi fi unit and connection software in the DS for the wii but that is not true, anyone has any similer problems?

the wii is the other side of the room, I have brought them closer together but makes no difference. the USB dongle is in the same area as the router and the wii is fine with that. I tried manual setup but makes no difference as the wii can not find any access point.

Wii currently is having some problems with various setups.

The problems I have encountered is that wireless mode must be set to "Mixed" instead of "g-only", and is your are using encryption, WPA, you should us the AES instead of TKIP algorithm for the encryption. Also verify the wireless setting known as "Preamble" is set to "long".

Also, make sure to upgrade your router's firmware to the latest version, as it is always a good idea.

If you cannot see any wireless networks from anyone or anywhere when you run the wireless wizard on the console, I would check with Nintendo's support to see if they could ship another console out to you. Nintendo support in the US is nothing short of amazing, hopefully they give the same service over there.

I am using mixed and encryption i am using is WEP, router does not support AES or TKIP.

It reconises the USB dongle.

Im just confused.

I am using mixed and encryption i am using is WEP, router does not support AES or TKIP.

In my reading the newest firmware for it does, it just means you are using an early version of the router's firmware and should update. The old firmware is very likely your connection problem for the Wii.

The support can be found below, along with upgrade instructions and precautions.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834Gv2.asp

Generic Precautions:

Make sure the unit it not powered down or unplugged during the upgrade process.

During the upgrade, make sure heavy downloading or internet usage is suspended untill it is done.

Double verify the router model number and version number are correct.

Wanna line up and kick me?

Got it working why I did not try this at first i do not know, I changed the channel from 11 to 12 and it works lol. I'm now wondering how I got that HND in Computing and if i deserve the degree. :D :D

Thanks for the help guys, good to know I can come here with tech problems :D

Glad to hear it is working.

I am still a big proponent of firmware upgrades for routers. I suggest it in the future.

G'day :geek:

Sign in to follow this